1 packet contains 5gm seeds of Carrot Black Wonder - Seeds.
You can grow carrots all year round ÃƒÆ’ ¢Ãƒ ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡ ¬Ãƒ ¢Ã¢â€š ¬Ã…â€œ and they are so simple! Just sow carrot seed regularly for a year-round crop.
Carrots are an easy and rewarding crop to grow, great for encouraging children to eat their vegetables! With so many varieties of this popular vegetable available, carrots can be grown in beds, containers and even window boxes making them suitable for gardens of any size. Carrots are a popular root vegetable that are easy to grow in sandy soil. They are resistant to most pests and diseases, and are a good late season crop that can tolerate frost.Not all carrots are orange; varieties vary in colour like purple, black to white.
||wild carrot.Daucus carota (Botanical name)
||From 6 inches to 3 feet
Planting and care
- Gently mulch to retain moisture, speed germination and block the sun from the roots
- Soil should be well drained and loose to prevent forking and stunting of the root growth
- Once plants are an inch tall, thin so they stand 3 inches apart
- Snip them with scissors instead of pulling them out to prevent damage to the roots of remaining plants
- Water at least one inch per week
- Weed diligently
- Fertilize 5-6 weeks after sowing
- Carrots taste much better after a couple of frosts
- Following the first hard frost in the fall, cover carrot rows with an 18-inch layer of shredded leaves to preserve them for harvesting later
Carrot Black Wonder care
- Orange carrots are the traditional standard, but you can try growing white, yellow, crimson, or even purple-skinned carrots, too
- More important than colour, though, is choosing the right root size and shape to suit your soil
- Carrot size and shape varies by type, and there are five major categories
- Ball-type, Chantenay, and Danvers carrots have blocky shapes that can handle heavy or shallow soil, while slender Nantes and Imperator carrots need deep, loose soil
||full sun, Will tolerate very light shade.
||Requires well-drained soil. Good quality roots require plentiful moisture and soil that is deep, loose, free of stones, and high in organic matter. Roots can become twisted and forked in heavy, stony soil. Prefers pH of 6.0 to 6.8 but can tolerate 5.5 to 7.5. Requires only moderate nitrogen. Too much can cause root branching.
||For Germination 45-85 FFor growth 60-65 F
||Fertilize 5-6 weeks after sowing.Apply any fertilizer
||Carrots are mature at around 2 ½ months and ½ inch in diameter. You may harvest whenever desired maturity is reached.
You may leave mature carrots in the soil for storage if the ground will not freeze.
To store freshly harvested carrots, twist off the tops, scrub off the dirt under cold running water, let dry and seal in airtight plastic bags, and refrigerate. If you simply put fresh carrots in the refrigerator, they ll go limp in a few hours.
Carrots can be stored in tubs of moist sand for winter use.
Carrot Black Wonder special feature
Carrots are a popular root vegetable that are easy to grow in sandy soil. They are resistant to most pests and diseases, and are a good late season crop that can tolerate frost. Not all carrots are orange; varieties vary in color from purple to white.
Carrot Black Wonder uses
- Prevent Cancer - Many studies show that eating carrots can help lower the risk of breast cancer, lung cancer and colon cancer
- More recently, researchers have isolated a compound called falcarinol in carrots that may be largely responsible for the anti-cancer benefits
- Falcarinol is a natural pesticide found in carrots that protects the roots from fungal diseases
- In the daily diet, carrots almost the only source of these compounds
- Improve Eye Vision - Retina of the eye needs vitamin A to function, vitamin A deficiency causes night blindness
- Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, a substance that is converted into vitamin A in the liver
- In the retina, vitamin A is transformed into rhodopsin, a purple pigment necessary for night vision
- In addition, beta-carotene helps protect against macular degeneration and prevent cataracts
- A study found that people who ate more of a beta-carotene had a 40 percent lower risk of macular degeneration than those who ate the least
- Preventing Heart Disease - Studies show that a diet high in carotenoids are associated with a lower risk of heart disease
- Also, it is believed that regular consumption of carrots reduces cholesterol levels
- Soluble fiber in carrots can help lower blood cholesterol levels by binding to and removing bile acids, cholesterol triggers will be pulled out of the bloodstream
- Reduce the Risk of Stroke - According to research from Harvard University, people who ate more than six carrots a week are much less likely to suffer a stroke than those who ate only one carrot a month or more
- Nourish Skin - Carrots have powerful cleansing properties are effective in detoxifying the liver, so it is very effective for acne is caused by toxins from the blood
- Carrots are also useful for treating uneven skin tones due to pigmentation
- Vitamin A and other nutrients contained in carrot efficiently nourish the skin, prevent dry skin and other skin blemishes
- Anti Aging - Carrots contain a lot of beta-carotene, which act as anti-oxidants that help the body to fight free radicals
- It also helps slow the aging of cells and a variety of negative effects associated with aging
- Dental Health - Carrots can even help clean the teeth, and is the best way to keep the mouth clean after eating
- Carrots acts as a natural cleanser that helps in removing dirt and plague from the teeth and gums
- Carrots also sparked a lot of saliva, which helps to remove stains on teeth
- Minerals in carrots helps to kill germs in the mouth and prevent tooth decay
- Due to its fresh and crispy texture, carrot is eaten in raw form
- Raw carrots are also an integral part in salads
- Carrot pulp is also widely used to make various sweets and desserts
- The high nutritional value of carrot makes it a very good baby food
- Carrot dishes such as carrot pudding and cakes include grated carrot
- Carrots can also be preserved with salt and vinegar to be served as a condiment
- Carrot juliennes are fondly added to garnish various lentil and rice dishes
- Raw carrot, cut in cylindrical shape without peel is a very popular ready-to eat finger snack and carrot drinks are also famous as a healthy drink
- One of most Wanted sweet dish of carrots Gajar ka halwa