The scientific name of Krishna Tulsi is Ocimum tenuiflorum. It is known as ‘Shyama Tulsi’, based on the color of Shyama or Krishna, the adorable God.
It is also called the ‘Purple-leaved Tulsi’ and it is famous for its peppery, crisp taste. It comprises purple-colored leaves and dark stems. Although it is grown in many regions in India, it is relatively more difficult to find than the green varietals.
Compared to the other species of Tulsi, Krishna Tulsi takes a longer time to grow. It is believed that this is the reason for its spicy and crispier flavor. The leaves are less bitter as compared to other types.
||Holy basil, Shyama tulsi and purple leaf tulsi
||1.50 to 2.00 feet
||Throughout Year.Preferably early summer and late spring.
||Easy to grow
Krishna Tulsi care
- In ideal conditions, tulsi requires at least 6 hours of sunlight per day. It can survive part sunlight conditions, with as little as 4 hours of direct sunlight per day.
- Most balanced potting mixes are appropriate for growing indoors. Well-drained soil is rich in organic matter.
- Water only when the upper layer of the soil is dry to touch. Do not overwater your plant.
- Tulsi can be grown as an annual outdoors or as a perennial houseplant with 20 to 45-degree celsius
- Plant care may require a bit of effort, but the results are well worth the work
- Not all plants are fragrant, but the most common and hardy do produce a sweet, carrying fragrance
- It can survive in temperate climates if they are planted in a sheltered area
||36-40 degrees C
||Apply any organic fertilizer
Krishna Tulsi special feature
- A purple-leafed variety, Krishna tulsi a rarer variety of holy basil. It grows more slowly, and it’s thought that the slow growth contributes to the accumulation of stronger, spicier, and more pungent flavors.
- The flavor is peppery and clove-like, and the warm spicy tea it produces is used to treat respiratory infections among other things. Krishna tulsi is also known as Shyama tulsi and purple leaf tulsi
Krishna Tulsi uses
- The plant has purple fringed leaves and purple stems with a pungent and strong test of leaves, it has more medicinal properties than the other species
- Tulsi may cure fever, cold, cough, and sore throat, tulsi may beat stress. Tulsi may dissolve kidney stone. Tulsi may protect the heart as it has medicinal properties tulsi may beat cancer. Tulsi may help in quitting smoking. Tulsi may beat stress. Tulsi may reduce blood sugar levels. Tulsi may keep skin and hair healthy
- Add fresh leaves to salads, fruit dishes, jellies, preserves, and sweetbreads.
- Use in Thai cooking in stir-fries with hot peppers, chicken, pork, and beef. The dried leaves are an ingredient of Ethiopian spice mixtures. Seeds are soaked in water to make a cooling drink.
- Tulsi tea is beneficial in several ways