Patha is a soft, climber vine. Leaves are dark green triangular, alternately arranged.
Patha- Pada-Cyclea peltata is a soft, climber vine. Leaves are dark green triangular, alternately arranged and sized up to 10 cm long and 3.75 cm wide, flowers are pale yellow, unisexual, found in leaf axils. The fruits are ovoid, brown in color.The fruits are ovoid drupes, brown or scarlet in color.
The seeds are covered. The roots are tuberous, cylindrical, irregularly curved, with grayish brown surface.
*above specification are indicative only. actual dimensions may vary by +-10%
||Cyclea peltata ,Sanskrit: Bruhat Patha, akaisika, ambastha, ambasthaki,Buckler-leaved moon-seed, Pada,Raj Patha, Padhi, Padha,Padavalli (Kizhangu)
|Maximum Reachable Height
||easy to grow
Planting and care
Start with pruning shears for smaller growth. Use loppers, which look like giant, long-handle shears, for growth that is more than half an inch thick. A small pruning saw is handy, as it cuts on both the push and the pull.
Raj Patha care
An accurate soil test will tell you where your pH currently stands. Acidic (sour) soil is counteracted by applying finely ground limestone, and alkaline (sweet) soil is treated with ground sulfur.If you order roses from a mail-order company, order early, in January or February (March at the latest). They are usually shipped in the spring as bare roots when plants are fully dormant, well before they have leafed out
||Full Sun to Partial Shade
||Apply any organic fertilizer
Raj Patha special feature
Flowers of Cyclea peltata are clearly stalkless, in tight round clusters. Female flowers occur in racemes as long as the leaf-stalk. Fruit is a white drupe. Shining Moon-Seed is found in the Western Ghats.
Raj Patha uses
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose
- The roots of patha have great medicinal value and are used for medicinal purpose, both, internally as well as externally
- External application of the paste of its roots and leaves is extremely beneficial, in infected wounds, sinuses, and skin diseases like erysipelas and pruritus
- The external application of this paste is said to be useful in serpant bite also
- The root juice is salutary in headache, as nasal drops
- The roots have anti-inflammatory activity and hence alleviated the edema
- Patha is a valuable wound healer and antidermatosis herb