Marigold are among the very popular flowers commonly found in India and other countries.
In India marigold is one of the most commonly grown flowers and used extensively on religious and social functions in different forms.Flowers are sold in the market as loose or as garlands.
In India marigold is one of the most commonly grown flowers and used extensively on religious and social functions in different forms. Flowers are sold in the market as loose or as garlands.This plant was used in ancient Greek, Roman, Arabic and Indian cultures as a medicinal herb as well as a dye for fabrics, foods and cosmetics. The leaves are edible, with the petals added to dishes as a garnish and in lieu of saffron.They can be easily cultivated, are widely adaptable to varying soils and climatic conditions and have a good flowering duration. This bushy plant with around 20 to 30 species, have a long flowering period and the colours range from orange, yellow, gold, cream to apricot. They are very much used in making garlands. Make excellent beds and pot decorations.This plant was used in ancient Greek, Roman, Arabic and Indian cultures as a medicinal herb as well as a dye for fabrics, foods and cosmetics. The leaves are edible, with the petals added to dishes as a garnish and in lieu of saffron.
*above specification are indicative only. actual dimensions may vary by +-10%
||African Marigold (Yellow),Zendu,Marigold, Genda,Zandu,Banthi Puuvu, Camanti,Chandu Hoovu,Ganda, French Marigold
|Maximum Reachable Height
||2 to 3 feet
||Marigolds are available in a range of gold, maroon, yellow and orange shades.
||Spring, Summer, Fall
Planting and careGermination from large, easily handled seeds is rapid, and blooms should appear within a few weeks of sowing.When you water marigolds, allow the soil to dry somewhat between watering, then water well, then repeat the process.The densely double flower heads of the African marigolds tend to rot in wet weather.Do not water marigolds from overhead. Water at the base of the plant.
Mexican Marigold care
Sow them directly into the garden once the soil is warm, or start seeds indoors about a month to 6 weeks before the last spring-frost date.
||Marigolds need lots of sunshine (at least six hours of direct sunlight) and do well with year round warm to hot weather
||Water marigolds the first 10 to 12 days after transplanting bedding plants into the garden.
||Though they grow in almost any soil, marigolds thrive in moderately fertile, well-drained soil.
||Protect this plant from frosts and low temperatures.
||Avoid fertilizing the plants. Marigolds thrive in poor soil and fertilizer often creates lush, rich foliage with few blooms.
Mexican Marigold special feature
Due to its variable height and colour marigold is especially use for decoration and included in landscape plans.
Mexican Marigold uses
- One of the health benefits of marigolds is that it is used in the treatment of minor burns when used in the form of ointments or a tincture
- Health benefits and therapeutic uses of marigold flowers as well as the leaves of the marigold include it being beneficial in minimizing the number of tumors in the case of breast cancer as well as in the prevention of the development of new cancer cells
- One of the medicinal uses of marigolds is that it promotes the growth of both new blood vessels as well as new skin tissue and hence it is used in the healing of wounds such as burns, scrapes as well as irritated skin
- The bright petals of signet marigolds add color and a spicy tang to salads and other summer dishes
- The flower petals are sometimes cooked with rice to impart the color (but unfortunately not the flavor) of saffron