Velvet apple is a rather slow-growing, evergreen tree. It varies in habit from a small, straggly tree with drooping branches.
Mabolo is a medium-sized tree growing to a height of 20 meters.Leaves are leathery.The blade is glossy green, smooth above and softly hairy below. A rather slow growing tree. Its edible fruit has a skin covered in a fine, velvety fur which is usually reddish-brown. The pulp is edible.
The fruit hairs have to be rubbed off before eating as it can cause peri-oral itching and irritation.
||23 inch (58 cm)
||6 inch (15 cm)
*above specification are indicative only. actual dimensions may vary by +-10%
||Velvet apple, velvet persimmon, mabola tree, butter Fruit
|Maximum Reachable Height
||Up to 20 m
||Cream, Off-White to White
||Late Spring and Summer
||Easy to grow
Planting and care
Water regularly, do not over water.
Diospyros blancoi care
It is a dioecious tropical perennial tree that grows well in a diversity of soil. It needs a good distribution of rainfall through the year.
||Less. Water well during dry periods.
||Moist loamy soil
||22 to 30 degrees C
||Feed twice yearly with any organic fertilizer.
Diospyros blancoi special feature
Diospyros blancoi uses
- It is suitable for growing in parks, gardens and along roads for its attractive conical, dense crown and reddish brown velvety fruits
- A decoction of the young leaves is used as a treatment for hypertension, heart ailments and diabetes
- The leaves are heated and squeezed with the leaves of Plectranthus amboinicus to make a preparation that is used to treat chest colds
- Note: Please consult your health expert
- Fruit is edible, the tannin content declining as it ripensA good source of vitamins A, C, and minerals