Chicory - Plant
Description for Chicory
Common chicory, Cichorium intybus, is a somewhat woody, perennial herbaceous plant of the dandelion family, usually with bright blue flowers, rarely white or pink.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Cichorium intybus,Common chicory is also known as blue daisy, blue dandelion, blue sailors, blue weed, bunk, coffeeweed, cornflower, hendibeh, horseweed, ragged sailors, succory, wild bachelor's buttons, and wild endive.||White||Flowers not showy||0.50 to 1.00 feet||easy to grow|
Planting and care
Try to grow this plant/seed in early spring until summer for the period of one month following the final frost. 3. Expect the plant/seeds to sprout and separate seedlings to have them grown up over 8 inches apart. The sprouting time for Chicory growth is from 2 to 4 weeks.
|Full sun||well-drained soil||Medium||75F.||Apply any organic fertilizer|
Caring for Chicory
- Cover the roots with soil, water them in lightly, then add an additional 6-inches of sand.
- Put a cover on the pot (thick layers of newspaper are fine) and dig out the sprouts when they poke through the surface of the sand.
- Where winters are mild, the roots can be dug down into the garden soil, covered with sand and then covered with an inverted flower pot (make sure to put tape over the drainage holes to block out all light.
- It will flower in its second year if left to grow and it is pretty enough for the flower boarder.
- The plant is tall 1m, and the flowers are numerous with a long season.
Typical uses of Chicory
Special features: Salads
Culinary use: na
Ornamental use: The plant is used for ornamental purpose
Medicinal use: The ancient Egyptians ate large amounts of chicory because it was believed that the plant could purify the blood and liver, while others have relied on the herb for its power to cure "passions of the heart." Chicory continues to be a popular herbal remedy due to its healing effects on several ailments.
Want to write review ?Click here to Login
What garden lovers say ... ?
There are yet no reviews for this product.