How Well Do You Know Roses!!!
Well, Rose is the most beautiful and elegant flower we have come across, but did you know some lesser-known incidents related to this floret?
India is known to have one of the most diverse climates in the world, as there are desert plains, mountains, forests, beaches and the climate to go with it. And Rose cultivators have managed to grow a variety of roses and its hybrids in almost every corner of India. During the 16th Century, the Mughal emperor Babar brought the Damask Rose to India, and during Emperor Jahangir’s Rule, his Empress Nur Jehan or her mother Salima Sultan Begum made the first Rose attar which is still made in Kannauj, Uttar Pradesh under the name” the ‘ruh al Gulab’, or "soul of the rose”. Depending on its color, Roses have always been a symbol of Love, Friendship, Gratitude, Peace and at times, even War. Here are a few Interesting lesser-known Facts about Roses.
- There exists a rose who has lived over a thousand years. The Rose of Hildesheim also called the Thousand-Year Rose, is from the Rosa Canina Family, also known as the Dog Rose was supposedly planted in the 800s and has even been bombed in the World War II by the allied force. This Destroyed the entire tree but didn’t singe the roots which regrew again after the war.
The Rosa Canina Family -the Dog Rose.
- The Most Expensive Rose is a rose is a 2006 variety by famed rose breeder David Austin that was christened Juliet. Breeding the rose took a total of 15 years and cost 5 million dollars. Juliet is now considered the world’s most expensive rose cultivated. It is a Garden rose, which is more delicate and more expensive to ship than standard roses.
Most Expensive Rose- Juliet
- There are no Black Roses, the ones who are referred as such are in fact a really dark Red Rose. The Blue Rose which were renowned all over the world were, in reality, Blue dyed White Roses. Scientists have been although somewhat successful as they have managed to genetically modify a rose to produce a blue rose. A Japanese company, Suntory, has cultivated a rose containing the blue pigment delphinidin was created in 2004 by genetic engineering of a white rose although it is more lavender in color.
Blue dyed White Roses
- There was a war called the War of Roses which lasted from 22 May 1455 to 22 August 1485. It was a civil war fought over the English throne between the houses of Lancaster and York. It was called such because of the Badges of the Contending parties; the White Rose of the Yorks and the Red Rose of the Lancasters.
- The Shady Lady is the world's largest rosebush, according to Guinness World Records, is in Tombstone, Ariz., and covers 9,000 square feet. Just a few blocks from the OK Corral in Tombstone, Arizona, a former hotel and boarding house hides a treasure in its ground. It is known as Lady Bank’s rose (Rosa banksiae) which is thornless and can be grown as a climber or ground cover. Shady Lady's small, fragrant roses appear in March and April that cover the entire bush. It is said that the blossoms smell like violets slightly bitter, sweet and a little powdery.
The Shady Lady is the world's largest rosebush
Choose from a wide range of exotic rose plants to grow a beautiful garden in your living space- View Details.