Aloe Vera - The Plant of Immortality
The plant which was used by sailors in early 1400s to soothe their burnt skin and ward off bacteria, stands tall in the natural medicine lineage. Aloe vera , one of the most popular plant that has been part of ayurverda and several other cultures remedy practices for thousands of years is still the most sought after plant for natural remedies, hence called Aloe Vera - The Plant of Immortality.
The Egyptians gave aloe the name, “Plant of Immortality’ because of its ability to live and even bloom without soil. Egyptian queens used this “plant of immortality” for beauty, and it was used as a funeral gift for pharaohs.
When traced, you can find the roots of aloe even in first century C.E used as a medicinal plant for many ailments. But it was popularized by Greeks physicians after they discovered its medicinal properties around 6000 years ago.
Having resemblance to a cactus with prickly leaves and pea green color, the name Aloe Vera derives from the Arabic word “Alloeh” meaning “shining bitter substance,” while “vera” in Latin means “true.”
Although owing to its popularity, Aloe vera, nowadays can be found worldwide but Africa, Asia, Europe and America still remain its biggest cultivators.
We Indians call it ‘Ghritkumari’ in Hindi, ‘Kalabanda’ in Telegu, ‘Katralai’ in Tamil, ’Kumari’ in Malyalam‘Lolisara’ in Kannada, ‘Koraphada’ in Marathi, and ‘Ghrtakumari’ in Bengali.
Within each leaf, a thick, water filled, a bit slimy gel resides and which is derived after cutting it’s leaves into chunks and removing the outer skin and sharp edges. This gel of the plant is loaded with minerals, vitamins, amino acids, and antioxidants having numerous benefits for the human body. Here, let us introduce you to a few of them.
- It can help to soothe the burnt skin and can lighten the burn marks.
- It is great for your gut. Aloe vera juice can help you improve your digestion and lose weight.
- It can also fasten the healing time for external wounds.
- It is great for moisturizing your skin and hair. Regular application of Aloe vera on your skin can help to reduce signs of premature aging.
- Aloevera can also help you reduce inflammation in your body.
- Regular internal intake of aloe vera can also help you improve your immune system.