Ixora Mini Dwarf (Pink) - Plant
Description for Ixora Mini Dwarf (Pink)
Dwarf Ixora are popularly used as low hedges because of their shrub form and compact appearance. They look attractive when they bloom profusely. However, after blooming, it will take some time for Dwarf Ixora to re-bloom.
These plants are dependable bloomers, love the sun, and fit nicely into any size landscape.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Jungle Geranium, Flame of the Woods, Jungle Flame, West Indian jasmine. rangan, kheme, ponna, chann tanea, techi, pan, santan, jarum-jarum.||Pink||summer season||Spread at least 3 to 4 inches||Easy|
Planting and care
Ixora is a shrubby evergreen with glossy-green, opposite leaves.Never allow ixora to become root-bound in a pot smaller than the ultimate size you want it in, and pot large plants firmly in coarse, turfy material.
Established plants usually produce three flower crops a year. But, with Ixora flowers being so long-lasting, and such a short resting period, plants bloom almost constantly, and they start flowering when small.
|Bright light, but avoid direct sunlight in summer.||The most important thing to remember when planting Ixora is that it must be planted in acidic soil because alkaline soil can result in yellow foliage. These acid-loving plants thrive in rich, moist, peat based soil.||Ixora likes to be watered, but you shouldnt do it excessively. Keep soil continuously moist, but reduce watering in the winter. Very high humidity is preferred.||Above 15 C is preferred even in winter. Avoid cold drafts if temperature drops lower||Feed in spring with slow-release pellets or weekly during growing season with liquid fertilizer.|
Caring for Ixora Mini Dwarf
- Water Ixora as needed to keep the soil evenly moist, but not muddy. Although the plant prefers moist soil, it may rot in excessively soggy soil.
- Water the shrub sparingly during the winter months.
- Feed Ixora in early spring, using an acidic fertilizer formulated for Ixora, azalea and gardenias, which has a ratio such as 4-8-8, along with minor elements that are beneficial. Repeat in midsummer and autumn.
- Acidic fertilizer is especially important if the foliage takes on a yellowish cast, indicating a magnesium deficiency caused by improper soil pH.
- Apply the fertilizer according to label specifications, then water deeply.
- In spring, remove the mulch along with the top crust of soil. Replace the removed mulch and soil with fresh mulch.
- Prune Ixora after blooming slows in late autumn or anytime the shrub looks untidy.
- Prune each shoot down to just one bud or prune the shrub as needed to create the size and shape desired.
- Protect Ixora from aphids and scales. Aphids are tiny, green insects that congregate at joints of the leaves and stems or the undersides of the leaves.
- Scales are hard-shelled insects that give the foliage a waxy appearance.
- Regular application of an insecticidal soap spray or neem oil usually helps to control both pests.
Typical uses of Ixora Mini Dwarf
Special features: Red ixora flowers are commonly used in Hindu worship, as well as in ayurveda and Indian folk medicine.
Medicinal use: In the above mentioned chemical composition of santan, it has been identified that the plant contains important phytochemicals that are known to have antioxidative, antibacterial, gastroprotective, hepatoprotective, antidiarrhoeal, antinociceptive, antimutagenic, antineoplastic and chemopreventive effects. This analysis suggests the validity of the plantâ€™s folkloric and erthnomedicinal uses.