Your Most Common Gardening Queries Answered
Gardening is no pre-determined formula, we agree. There are no ‘strategic steps’ outlined, but some tried and tested practices universally accepted by the community of sincere gardeners. Here Nursery Live’s experts answer most common gardening queries that most of you might find quite bothersome.
Having the right soil for your plant friends is non-negotiable. Right soil mix anchors a plant's roots, supports its water supply, helps it breathe and offers the nutrients it needs to grow. The kind which is most suitable for almost all plants and ensures optimum growth is a rich, sandy loam. In most cases, you'll need to enrich the soil with compost. Selecting the correct soil mix is an indispensable step and as a rule of thumb, the soil should be well-draining and rich in organic content. It should not get soggy when you water your plants.
The straightforward approach to this question is; water your plants when the soil needs it. Stick your finger into the soil a couple of inches deep and if the soil underneath feels dry, water. If it is not dry, don’t water. Simple.
To help you delve deeper into the topic, here are few rules given by NurseryLive’s experts:
- Water your plants according to the season: Thoroughly in the summer season and reduce the frequency during the rainy and winter season.
- Water late in the evening or early in the morning: When you water your plants in the absence of scorching heat, the water doesn’t evaporate quickly and plants have an ample amount of time to feed themselves.
- Keep leaves dry to avoid diseases: Water your plants near the stem area and not the leaves as wet leaves are easily prone to leaf-mould disease.
- Avoid waterlogging: Overwatering your plants can cause the rotting of roots.
Some gardeners in their naivety assume that “if a little bit is good, more will be better.” But in reality, too much can be worse than not enough.
Here are some basic rules to keep in your mind while fertilizing your plants:
- Apply the fertilizers during the correct seasons. Most perennials, annuals, vegetables, and lawns will reward you handsomely if fed with a balanced granular fertilizer in early spring.
- Annual plants feed should be fed with organic fertilizers three to four times during the active growth period and weekly or monthly in the case of flowering plants.
- Avoid fertilization during the flowering period in of fruit plants as it will result in the dropping of flowering.
Creating an aesthetic garden in urban Indian homes is always a challenge.
Following tips from our NurseryLive experts can help you maximize your plant space:
- Convert a balcony into a beautiful garden space by using the wall space, the grill area and floor space.
- Create your own vertical garden to grow vegetables, herbs, fruits and flowers for all possible wall areas.
- Add plants in your personal workspace and work desks and brighten up our workspaces.
To a gardener, all plants are stars. But some plants are born to shine just a bit brighter. Here is a list of plants that work best in pots curated by Nursery Live’s experts:
- Flowering Plants: Roses, Jasmine plants, Shevanthi, Impatiens, Gerbera, Marigold, Begonias, Pansy, Peace lily, Orchids, Torenia, Pansy, Lavender, Kalanchoe, Tagar, Madhumalti, Adenium, Hibiscus, Vinca etc.
- Foliage Plants: Money plants, Synogoniums, Succulents, Palms, Philodendrons, Ficus plants, Lucky bamboos, Aglaonemas, etc.
- Fruit and vegetable plants: Tomatoes, Beans, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Guards, Herbs, Onion, Okra, Brinjal, Broccoli, Capsicum, Carrot, Radish, Lemon, lettuce, Orange, Pumpkins etc
Dealing with pests and plant diseases can be quite a bummer. Spraying your plant babies with neem oil, castor oil or soapy water can help you in the beginning but what if the problem is aggregated? Here are a few tips to ease the nuisance:
- Take Advantage of Pests’ Natural Enemies: Insects such as parasitic wasps, ladybirds, spiders and ground beetles are all beneficial to a garden as they prey on pests. Encourage them into your garden by planting pollen and nectar-producing plants.
- Hand Pick Larger Pests: Hand-picking larger pests such as slugs, snails and caterpillars can be quite efficient, especially in a small garden.
- Companion Planting: Some plants produce a natural insect repellent, which makes them very beneficial when planted in your garden. Some examples are Basil, Marigold, Odomos plants etc.
- Don't overcrowd your plants: Good air circulation prevents the damp conditions that promote the growth of fungi and other disease organisms.
Maintaining your garden year-round can be hard work for the best of us. Here are some daily tips to make gardening an easier and more enjoyable effort.
- Ensure that the soil is loose by turning it at least once a month to keep a light consistency. You can add organic fertilizers to your soil to keep it healthy and maintain the texture.
- Remove small weed twigs from your plants from their roots to prevent them from growing back.
- Prune shrubs to enhance growth, but wisely by giving enough time to recover before they are expected to bloom.
- Remove dying flowers to help promote future growth. Pinch the bases of dried flowers by hand or with a pair of hand pruners.
There are still some questions lingering on your mind? We got you covered. Book a video consultation with Nurseylive’s experts to help you with all the gardening roadblocks. Here are the details. Hurry up, we are running free post-launch free session as giveaways. Book your slot now.
Blog: Plant Talk
Blog: Kitchen Gardening
Blog: Top 10 Plants
Blog: Sustainable Living
Blog: Plant Styling and DIY's
Original price ₹ 996Original price ₹ 996 - Original price ₹ 996Original price ₹ 996Current price ₹ 699₹ 699 - ₹ 699Current price ₹ 699Original price ₹ 996Original price ₹ 996 - Original price ₹ 996Original price ₹ 996Current price ₹ 699₹ 699 - ₹ 699Current price ₹ 699Save 30% Save %
Original price ₹ 1,665Original price ₹ 1,665 - Original price ₹ 1,665Original price ₹ 1,665Current price ₹ 1,149₹ 1,149 - ₹ 1,149Current price ₹ 1,149Original price ₹ 1,665Original price ₹ 1,665 - Original price ₹ 1,665Original price ₹ 1,665Current price ₹ 1,149₹ 1,149 - ₹ 1,149Current price ₹ 1,149Save 31% Save %
Original price ₹ 2,221Original price ₹ 2,221 - Original price ₹ 2,221Original price ₹ 2,221Current price ₹ 1,599₹ 1,599 - ₹ 1,599Current price ₹ 1,599Original price ₹ 2,221Original price ₹ 2,221 - Original price ₹ 2,221Original price ₹ 2,221Current price ₹ 1,599₹ 1,599 - ₹ 1,599Current price ₹ 1,599Save 28% Save %
Original price ₹ 1,855Original price ₹ 1,855 - Original price ₹ 1,855Original price ₹ 1,855Current price ₹ 1,249₹ 1,249 - ₹ 1,249Current price ₹ 1,249Original price ₹ 1,855Original price ₹ 1,855 - Original price ₹ 1,855Original price ₹ 1,855Current price ₹ 1,249₹ 1,249 - ₹ 1,249Current price ₹ 1,249Save 33% Save %
Original price ₹ 1,360Original price ₹ 1,360 - Original price ₹ 1,360Original price ₹ 1,360Current price ₹ 949₹ 949 - ₹ 949Current price ₹ 949Original price ₹ 1,360Original price ₹ 1,360 - Original price ₹ 1,360Original price ₹ 1,360Current price ₹ 949₹ 949 - ₹ 949Current price ₹ 949Save 30% Save %
Original price ₹ 975Original price ₹ 975 - Original price ₹ 975Original price ₹ 975Current price ₹ 699₹ 699 - ₹ 699Current price ₹ 699Original price ₹ 975Original price ₹ 975 - Original price ₹ 975Original price ₹ 975Current price ₹ 699₹ 699 - ₹ 699Current price ₹ 699Save 28% Save %
Original price ₹ 1,251Original price ₹ 1,251 - Original price ₹ 1,251Original price ₹ 1,251Current price ₹ 999₹ 999 - ₹ 999Current price ₹ 999Original price ₹ 1,251Original price ₹ 1,251 - Original price ₹ 1,251Original price ₹ 1,251Current price ₹ 999₹ 999 - ₹ 999Current price ₹ 999Save 20% Save %
View all Collection