Hedera Helix, English Ivy - Plant
Description for Hedera Helix, English Ivy
Hedera helix is a species of flowering plant in the family Araliaceae. It is vigorous, fast-growing, woody evergreen perennial that is primarily grown as a climbing vine or trailing ground cover.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|English ivy, common ivy||Greenish white||Summer||Up to 80 feet (As a ground cover, it typically grows to 6 to 9 inches tall)||Easy to grow|
Planting and care
Easily grown in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils in part shade to full shade. Will also grow in full sun. Tolerates a wide range of soils, but prefers rich loams. Tolerates some drought, but produces best foliage color in evenly moist soils.
|Full Sun to partial shade||Well-drained soil||Medium||10 to 27 degrees C||Apply any organic fertilizer|
Caring for Hedera Helix
- Water the plants freely during growth.
- Keep English Ivy houseplants moist in the summer.
- Avoid hot sun and winter winds.
- Spraying English Ivy with soft water weekly will help prevent spider mites from infesting the plants.
- Look for the insect attack (Aphids, mealybugs, caterpillars) and apply general insecticide.
- Ground covers may be trimmed on the edges with a spade or shears.
Typical uses of Hedera Helix
Special features: It is the best option for fences, trellises or walls and Ground cover.
Culinary use: NA
Ornamental use: The plant is used for an ornamental purpose. It adds beauty to the garden when added to the hanging baskets.
Medicinal use: NA