Common English names : Devil-pepper, Snake-root.
English: serpentine wood Bengali: Chandra; Hindi: Chandrabagha, Chota chand; Kannada: Patalagondhi, Sarpagandhi,Shivavabhiballi, Sutranavi; Malayalam: Chuvanna-vilpori, Suvapavalforiyan; Marathi: Harkaya, Harki; Oriya:Patalgarur, Sanochada; Tamil: Chivan amelpodi; Telgu: Paataala garuda, Paataala goni; Urdu: Asrel. indonesia : pule pandak;
|Special Gift Today|
|Get 1 Plantfood FREE|
|* on all orders today|
|Get Surprise Garden Gift|
| * worth Rs 300 to 600 Free |
* on all orders above Rs 699
|Rs 300 PayTM Cashback|
| - 1st Txn: Random CB (Rs 30 - Rs 150) |
- 2nd Txn: PayTm Movie Voucher (Rs 150)
- Minimum Order Value : Rs 300
|All India Delivery|
|500,000 Happy Customers|
Sarpagandha is a famous tranquilizer and antipsychotic herb of India for the treatment of paranoia and schizophrenia, as well as a substance that controls hypertension.
Common name: Indian Snakeroot, Insanity herb
Color: white, pinkish or red,
Bloom time: March to May
Height: 15 to 45 cm
Planting & Care
June and July are suitable months for transplanting seedlings and vegetatively propagated plants. The seedlings, which are 7.5-12.0cm high, are carefully dug out from nursery beds and planted. Regular irrigation, weeding and manuring are required for optimum growth.
Temprature: 25° C
- Perennial shrub Sarpagandha (Rauvolfia serpentina) is known as serpentine root or serpentina root is one of the most important crude drugs which has been used in the indigenous system of medicine from ancient times.
- The importance of this root drug and the alkaloids obtained from it has been recognized in allopathic system in the treatment of hypertension or as a sedative and tranqualising agent.
A large number of alkaloids have been isolated from the roots of this plant such as ajmalicine, ajmaline, ajmalinine, rescinamine, reserpine, serpentine, serpentinine etc.
Harvesting: The seeds germinate within three weeks.
- Sarpagandha grows in a wide range of climatic conditions.
- However, hot and humid tropical regions with sufficient rainfall are the most suited places.
- A range of temperature 10-30o C is found favourable for the plants.
- Soil The plant grows in a variety of soils ranging from sandy alluvial loam to red lateritic loam having acidic to neutral reaction.
- Unverified information Although this plant was well known in India, westerners paid no attention to it until an Indian physician wrote an article on rauvolfia in 1943.
- Because of the drug s noted sedative effects, it was used to treat over a million Indians in the 1940s for high blood pressure.
After a U.
- physician named Wilkins demonstrated the positive effects of reserpine (1952), the plant made front page news.
- This drug rapidly replaced electric shock and lobotomy as treatments for certain types of mental illness.
- Moreover, knowledge about the chemistry of this natural plant stimulated the synthesis of other similar alkaloids that are now used as major tranquilizers.
for medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor before use.
You may browse related categories
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments