Description for Water Lily, Nymphae Nouchali (Red)
Best grown in moist, acidic, humusy soils in part shade to full shade. Plants may be grown from seed, but will not flower for 4-5 years. Quicker and better results are obtained from planting corms which are sold by many bulb suppliers and nurseries. In addition, offsets from mature plants may be harvested and planted
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Kamal, Lotus, Water Lily, Nymphae Nouchali||Red||Summer, or the season of Fire, is when the Lotus blossoms. In spring, and through the summer, the plant is vigorously growing, enjoying the warmth and humidity. The flowers open in response to sunlight, usually opening in the morning and closing in the afternoon.||upto 0.50 feet||Easy to grow|
Planting and care
|Full Sun||Muddy water||They grow in water||20 to 40 degrees C||-|
Caring for Water Lily
- The Lotus plant should be fertilized sparingly for the first year.
- Too much fertilizer may cause the Lotus foliage to burn.
- A Lotus plant that is established can be fed every 3 or 4 weeks during the growing season.
- Care must be taken when inserting fertilizer tabs, because the growing tip and new growth can be damaged.
- It is important to protect the Lotus roots from freezing.
- Lotus can winter over in the pond if the pond depth is below the freeze line for your area.
- In late fall, the yellowed foliage should be cut off and the plant lowered to the deepest part of the pond.
- Or you may lift the tubers after the plant has died back during the fall.
- If you lift the tubers, store them in a cool, frost-free location until late spring.
- To help prevent mildew and rotting, store them in living sphagnum moss.
Typical uses of Water Lily
Special features: Naturalize in moist soils in shaded areas of native plant gardens, shade gardens, woodland gardens or wild/naturalized areas. Also grows well in pond or stream banks or in shady areas of rock gardens.
Culinary use: Seeds
Medicinal use: The flower is used to brew lotus teas, which relieves cardiac complications and helps to stop bleeding.
- http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=a748 http://www.almanac.com/plant/lilies
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments
Versatile plant that can be kept in sunny or semi-shade environmentsSS
Beautiful plant, arrived in very good condition. Impressive packing. Looking forward to buy one moreIstiyaq Ahmad
Does the plant need regular trimming?prince kumar
Any query about water lily, nymphae nouchali (red) - plant