Cryptanthus (Elaine) Earth Star, Starfish - Plant
Description for Cryptanthus (Elaine) Earth Star, Starfish
They are ideal for indoor growth but can also grow well outdoors in many moderate climates. Cryptanthus has a more developed root system than the other bromeliads. Cryptanthus the only flower once during their lifetime. Almost all Cryptanthus have small, delicate white flowers near their leaves.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Earth Stars, Starfish plant||White||Summer||Up to 1 foot||Easy to grow|
Planting and care
Earth Stars will thrive when potted in a medium that maintains some moisture. Sometime a healthy plant may produce pups, exact clones of the mother plant, that can be removed and then potted in their own growing medium. If kept in a pot, the pot should be wider than deeper as the roots like to grow.
|Partial shade, Indirect sunlight||Well-drained soil||Medium||60 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit||Use any balanced organic fertilizer.|
Caring for Cryptanthus
- Keep the plant moist and in humid conditions.
- Mulch, when the weather becomes colder, can protect the roots during the winter.
- It can survive above 37 degrees C as long as it is kept moist by humidifiers, manually misting water.
- Avoid hot and harsh direct sunlight.
- If your plant seems stressed and bleached or sunburned marks appear then move your bromeliad to a spot with less direct sunlight.
- Look for mealybugs and scale, can usually be controlled through manual removal or swabbing with rubbing alcohol.
Typical uses of Cryptanthus
Special features: The plant has an interesting color of foliage with bands.
Culinary use: NA
Ornamental use: The plant is highly preferred for the gardens as the foliage is beautiful.
Medicinal use: NA
Want to write review ?Click here to Login
What garden lovers say ... ?
There are yet no reviews for this product.