Senecio Serpens - Plant
Description for Senecio Serpens
It is indigenous to southern Africa. It needs little water, and is thus one of the many plants suggested for cultivation.
Senecio serpens is a small, evergreen, succulent perennial, branching from the base and rooting along the stems, up to 8 inches (20 cm) tall and up to 40 inches (1 m) wide. The prostrate stems hold short, sub-cylindrical, powdery blue-grey to blue-green finger-like fleshy leaves. The small flowers are white in color.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Blue Chalksticks||White||Early July||Up to 1 foot||Easy to grow|
Planting and care
|Full Sun to Partial Shade||Well-drained soil||Medium||70 degrees F||Apply any organic fertilizer|
Caring for Senecio Serpens
- Established plants are extremely drought tolerant. They do need some water, during the summer, but do not leave the soil wet for prolonged periods.
- Allow the soil to dry out between waterings in the winter, when they are somewhat dormant.
- Since they are growing in sandy soil, nutrients will need to be replenished.
- Fertilize annually, but lightly. Too much fertilizer will cause a lot of leggy growth.
- Taller varieties can get floppy.
- You can prune them back to where the stem is firm, in very early spring.
- You can even root the cuttings. Plants can be divided or repotted in early spring.
- If you are growing them in containers, they enjoy spending the summer outdoors.
Typical uses of Senecio Serpens
Special features: Senecio serpens is a small succulent that hugs the ground, branching from the base and rooting along the stems. This ground cover is one of the most valuable landscaping succulents. Forming a dense rippling mat of compact silver-blue leaves.
Culinary use: NA
Ornamental use: The plant is used for an ornamental purpose. The plant is used as a ground cover in arid areas. But mostly it is grown as a potted plant subject. It's chalk-blue foliage is attractive.
Medicinal use: NA
You may browse related categories
Want to write review ?Click here to Login
What garden lovers say ... ?
Fresh and beautiful, Must buy!
This is easy to grow with low maintenance requirements
Nice plant without any damages????