Spathodea Campanulata, Fountain Tree - Plant
Description for Spathodea Campanulata, Fountain Tree
The tree has a stout, tapering, somewhat buttressed trunk covered in warty light gray bark. The tree flowers in spurts all through the growing season, but peak bloom is usually in the spring. African tulip tree is a large upright tree with glossy deep green pinnate leaves and glorious orange scarlet flowers. It may grow to 80 ft on an ideal site, but most specimens are much smaller.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|African tulip, Fountain tree, Rugtoora||Glorious orange||Spring, all through the growing season||80 ft and less||Easy|
Planting and care
|African tuliptree will survive in shade, but demands full sun for fast growth and best flowering.||This species loves rich soil, but puts up with just about anything with a little fertility to it, including limerock.||These trees grow best with plenty of moisture, but will shed their leaves and endure drought.||Can tolerate 18 degrees C, Tropical monsoon climate||Fertilize early in the plant's growing cycle - spring for summer plants, fall for winter plants.|
Caring for Spathodea Campanulata
- Begin caring for a weeping snow fountain cherry tree by planting it correctly.
- Place the tree in a hole that is at least twice as large as its root ball, and use soil that has been combined with light, organic mulch.
- Before the tree is placed in the hole, the roots need to be loosened.
- After the tree is in the hole, the hole needs to be filled with the soil and mulch mixture.
- The tree must be watered well after transplantation.
- Mulch the area around the tree, but make sure the mulch does not touch the trunk.
- To keep the tree standing straight, tie it to a sturdy stake that has been inserted into the ground.
Typical uses of Spathodea Campanulata
Culinary use: Tree is planted extensively as an ornamental tree throughout the tropics.
Ornamental use: African tuliptrees are grown for shade, color and tropical effects. The wood is difficult to burn, so the tree is also valuable for fire resistant landscaping. African tulip tree is planted as an ornamental, a wayside tree and shade tree.
Medicinal use: Spathodea campanulata has many medicinal uses both where it is native and introduced. Extracts of bark, leaves and flowers are used to treat malaria, HIV, diabetes mellitus, oedema, dysentery, constipation, gastrointestinal disorders, ulcers, skin diseases, wounds, fever, urethral inflammation, liver complaints and as a poison antidote. It may be effective as a malaria prophylactic and in the control of Aedes mosquitoes.
You may browse related categories
Want to write review ?Click here to Login
What garden lovers say ... ?
I like very much this product.also i received a free gift on my order,i suggest everyone to buy N.L.
Low maintenance perennial indoor potted plant
when I put the plant indoors totally, it started having yellow leaves.