Piper nigrum, Kali Mirch - Plant
Description for Piper nigrum, Kali Mirch
Piper nigrum, Kali Mirch is a perennial woody spreading vine. It starts rooting readily where trailing stems touch the ground. The leaves are 5 to 10 cm long and 3 to 6 cm broad.
The flowers are small and spherical fruits that ripen red. Indoor houseplants will not usually produce fruit. The plants may bear fruit from the fourth or fifth year, and then typically for seven years.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Common pepper, Kali mirch, Kali miri||Yellowish-green||Seasonal||Up to 4 m||Easy to grow|
Planting and care
It is extensively cultivated there and elsewhere in tropical regions. A plant can be grown in soil that is neither too dry nor susceptible to flooding, moist, well-drained and rich in organic matter. It is best grown in sun-dappled areas or areas with a bright indirect sun.
|Partial shade||Rich potting soil with good drainage||Medium||12 to 32 degrees C||Use any organic fertilizer.|
Caring for Piper nigrum
- The vines need to be trained early when they are young so tie or just weave them through trellis sections.
- It is best to grow under trees as they provide shade and need to plant in free ventilation.
- Apply leaf mulch and manure.
- It is beneficial if shoots are pruned twice a year.
- Fertilize the plant in spring just before new growth appears.
- Watch for aphids on indoor plants and use soap water spray or Eucalyptus oil, Neem oil, and Citrus oil etc.
- Do not over water as plant roots may rot.
Harvest when the first fruits begin to turn red.
Typical uses of Piper nigrum
Special features: Black pepper is the world's most traded spice.
Culinary use: Famous spice
Ornamental use: It may be grown in containers as a houseplant with an attached trellis or in a hanging basket.
Medicinal use: It is used in folk medicine. was believed to cure several illnesses, such as constipation, insomnia, oral abscesses, sunburn, and toothaches etc.
Note: Please consult your health expert.
You may browse related categories
Want to write review ?Click here to Login
What garden lovers say ... ?
Can you ensure that your packaging will not spoil the plant.
I am satisfied with the plants.
when I put the plant indoors totally, it started having yellow leaves.