The plant is potted in 6 inch plastic Pot
Description for Cardamom, Elaichi, Velchi
In semi-tropical or temperate climates, this plant should be grown indoors in a heated greenhouse or in a warm shady humid place (hot steamy bathrooms are excellent). Plants will not flower or fruit when grown outdoors in semi-tropical or temperate conditions or indoors in pots.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Elettaria cardamomum||yellow or red||April to May||5 foot - 10 foot||easy to grow|
Planting and care
Cardamom (Elettaria cardammommum) is a perennial plant. It has rigid and erect aromatic leaves, which forms the aerial part of the plants stems. These stems are between 2 to 4 meters high and forms a canopy of leaves around the plant.
You can propagate cardamom from seeds. You can try seeds you get from glossary store but those seeds are generally treated and not fresh. For best results buy seeds from seed store or online.
|Steady, low intensity||Rich, mildly acidic, loamy||Medium||20 C and above||Rich, mildly acidic, loamy|
Caring for Cardamom
- To sow, the smaller seeds should be sown in a light but rich starting medium buried shallowly beneath the surface of the soil
- Cardamom requires steady supply of moisture and will not tolerate drought.
- If growing in a greenhouse, it should be kept humid and maintained carefully.
- Cardamom is not tolerant of cold, but should be kept in a location with many hours of partially occluded sunlight.
- Cardamom requires approximately 3 years of growth to produce capsules containing seeds.
- After the flowers mature, they will gradually dry out as capsule develops.
- These can be collected when capsules begin to turn green, and later dried on screens over the course of 6-7 days. Turn frequently.
Typical uses of Cardamom
Special features: Spice for tropical areas. Otherwise primarily grown ornamentally (fragrant and attractive leaves) in homes or greenhouses where flowers/fruits are unlikely to appear.
Culinary use: Used in almost all Indian dishes
Ornamental use: The plant is used for ornamental purpose
- http://balconygardenweb.com/how-to-grow-cardamom-growing-cardamom-elaichi/ http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?taxonid=287608&isprofile=0&
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments
I am satisfied with the plants.Prachi Mishra
Plant was healthy and growing.Delivered in well packed protective method. Appreciable. Thank youDilip Dhariwal
Thank you for nice plants deleviry ... now i can trust online shopping of plants?Archana Damle
I have ordered twice now from online plants and both orders have been more than what I expectedPukhrambam Kavita
Some leaves are green and some leaves are greenish yellow but anyway it looks great!Sadhineni Nageswararao
Any query about cardamom, elaichi, velchi - plant