Description for Methi Kasturi, Fenugreek
Fenugreek, Latin name Trigonella foenum-graecum, is an annual herb native to South Europe and Asia. The plant grows quickly to 2 feet tall and fixes nitrogen into the soil. White or yellow flowers appear in the early summer and develop yellow-brown seed pods in the fall. This legume plant is used for food, seasoning, condiments, medicine, dye and livestock forage.
The plant and seed give off a maple aroma and taste. This herb is tender and does not survive freezing weather, so the seeds are cultivated during the spring after the last frost occurs.
Planting and care
Caring for Methi Kasturi
- The plant does not like to be transplanted after germination, so the seeds should be sown at the final place. Or you can sow seeds in biodegradable pots which can be put directly into the ground later on.
- Sow seeds about 5 mm deep and 50 mm apart in straight line trenches for seed sowing. You can also sow the seeds in criss-cross patterns. In stead of sowing in trenches, you can just sprinkle the seeds on the bed and cover with soil.
- Water well and keep soil well-moistened.
- Seeds will germinate in 3-5 days.
- In the areas of frost, it may be started indoors 5 weeks prior to the last frost of the season. The seedlings can be transplanted outdoors when the soil temperature is around 15Â°C (60Â°F).
- I sow seeds every 2-3 weeks in the season, so that when the first set of plants die, I am having the next set to get fresh methi.
Typical uses of Methi Kasturi
Special features: Fenugreek is an annual growing herb native to the Mediterranean and Western Asia. Fenugreek leaves are not only very easy to grow from seeds in pots or ground at home, but also extremely beneficial herb.
Culinary use: Its sweet and hot aroma like pepper and crunchy sour taste somewhat like spinach ,creates a magic. It is popularly used in Indian, Persian, Egyptian and Ethiopian cuisines, to prepare tastiest recipes. Fresh seeds used to sprinkle on salad and dried seeds in pickles.
You may browse related categories
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments
Good but after two moths i will see the result
Very good seeds growing well
Good seeds and quality packing
Vey Nice Seeds but good in quantity.
Can be grown in pot??