(Inclusive of all taxes)
* Free Shipping on orders above 399
Description for Chives
Chives are a perennial member of the onion family that sport beautiful purple flowers.
Chives are cool-season, cold-tolerant perennials that are planted in early spring.
Be mindful when planting this herb, as it will take over your garden if the flowers are left to ripen (the flowers scatter the seeds). However, this plant is easy to dig up and move if it overwhelms your garden.
Planting and care
Propagate by seed, division or separation - Direct seed, divide or transplant in spring or fall.
Germination temperature: 45 F to 95 F
Days to emergence: 7 to 21
Seed can be saved 3 years.
Caring for Chives
- In spring or fall, direct seed onto well-prepared seedbed (covering very lightly), or transplant established plants.
- If starting from seed, plants probably wonâ€™t be large enough to harvest for at least a year.
- Regular cutting helps keep plants vigorous and healthy and encourages spreading.
- Keep flowers picked to discourage dormancy in warm weather.
- No fertilizer is needed if planted in reasonably fertile soil.
- Plants harvested frequently benefit from nitrogen top-dressing.
- Divide and replant clump in fresh soil every three to five years.
Typical uses of Chives
Special features: Garlic chives and chives both have garlic flavour, and belong to a different species, Allium tuberosum. They grow taller (up to 2 feet) than common garden chives, and have white flowers.
You may browse related categories
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments
I m happy with this nice vegetable seeds product
All seeds germinated waiting to grow 2 weeks over growing nicely
Good seeds - derived good rate of germination - yet to grow to form heads
I WAITING FOR THE RESULT, IF IT SUCCESSFUL I WILL RECOMMEND TO ALL MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY ABOUT THIS
Seeds germinated fast, in 1 week. Thanks.