Sapindus Mukorossi, Ritha - Plant
Description for Sapindus Mukorossi, Ritha
Winter hardy to USDA Zones 6-9. Easily grown in dry to medium, well-drained soils in full sun to part shade. Tolerates high pH soils. Also tolerates sandy or rocky soils. Self seeds in optimum growing conditions.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Reetha, Chinese Soapberry, North Indian soapnut, Washing nuts||white||May to June||20.00 to 50.00 feet||easy to grow|
Planting and care
Plant bulbs in autumn. Plants do not thrive in Zones 9 to 10 without a period of refrigeration; they need a cold, dormant period. Select a site with soil that drains well. How can you tell? After a good rain, find a spot that is the first to dry out.
|Full sun to part shade||well-drained soil||Dry to medium||20 Â°C to 30 Â°C||Apply any organic fertilizer|
Caring for Sapindus Mukorossi
- plant care is not difficult but does require vigilance.
- The vines need to be trained early when they are young.
- You may use plant ties or just weave them through trellis sections.
- Fertilize the plant in spring just before new growth appears.
- Pinch off the tips of the vines in the second year to promote branching which will fill the trellis with bushy growth.
Typical uses of Sapindus Mukorossi
Special features: Lawn specimen, small shade tree, patio tree or screen where winter hardy.
Ornamental use: The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
Medicinal use: Treating migrane headaches, or for dermatological purposes such as using the seeds to remove skin impurities like pimples or eczema.