Parijat, Parijatak, Harshringar - Plant
Description for Parijat, Parijatak, Harshringar
Nyctanthes arbor-tristis is a species of Nyctanthes, native to South Asia and Southeast Asia. Nyctanthes arbor-tristis is a shrub or a small tree growing to 10 m tall, with flaky grey bark.
It can be managed as a shrub or can grow as a small tree up to 10 m tall. It produces flowers that are fragrant. The flower has a five to eight-lobed white corolla and an orange-red centre. The flowers appear in clusters of two to seven flowers.
The beauty of this plant is that it produces white flowers. These flowers bloom at night and in the morning they turn yellow.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Coral Jasmine, Night Jasmine, Har Singar, Tree Of Sorrow, Nyctanthes arbor-tristis||White||Seasonal bloomer||8.00 to 12.00 feet|| |
The tree can be grown by seeds or by cuttings. Plant in well-drained soil and fertilize once a month.
Planting and care
plant care may require a bit of effort, but the results are well worth the work. Not all plants are fragrant, but the most common and hardy do produce a sweet, carrying fragrance.
Common is a vine and has larger glossy green leaves than Royal. Both can survive in temperate climates if they are planted in a sheltered area.
|Full sun,Partial sun||Well-drained soil||Medium||60 to 70 degrees F||Apply any organic fertilizer|
Caring for Parijat
- Every leaf has a growth bud, so removing old flower blossoms encourages the plant to make more flowers instead of using the energy to make seeds.
- Clean away from around the base of the rosebushes any trimmed debris that can harbor disease and insects.
This usually happens in Rainy season.
Typical uses of Parijat
Special features: Where winter hardy, orange jessamine is often grown as a hedge or screen. Interesting in containers or planters. For areas north of USDA Zone 10, plants must be overwintered indoors.
Ornamental use: The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
- Parijaat is used for treatment of many ailments. For medicinal purpose leaves, stem, flowers and seeds are used.
- The leaves are given for treating chronic fever, rheumatism, arthritis, joint pain, obstinate sciatica.
- For chronic fever, the fresh leaves juice with honey is administered orally.
- Leaves decoction or Kadha is recommended to treat sciatica.
- Note: The following information is general guidelines. Be sure to ask your healthcare provider for guidelines.
- http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/ http://www.flowersofindia.net/