Gulmohar, Delonix Regia - Plant
Description for Gulmohar, Delonix Regia
Also known as royal Poinciana or flamboyant tree, flame tree is one of the worlds most colorful trees. Every spring, the tree produces clusters of long-lasting, orange-red blooms with yellow, burgundy or white markings. Each bloom, which measures up to 5 inches across, displays five spoon-shaped petals.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Gulmohar, Delonix Regia,Flamboyant Tree, Flame Tree,royal poinciana,flamboyant,Krishnachura,Kempu torai,Peacock,fire tree; flambouyant; flame of the forests; flame tree; gold mohar; peacock flower; poinciana; read tree; royal gulmohur; royal peacock; royal poinciana,arbol del fuego; clavelino; flamboyant colorado; flor de fuego; flor de pavo; guacamaya; guacamayo; josefina; malinche; morazan, tabuchÃn, krishna chura; radha chura,uaruna,clavellino,marumaru; patai; pu pi; puka kai; rakau tamarumaru, flamboyÃ¡n; framboyÃ¡n; framboyÃ¡n rojo,sekoula,pakai; puke; raâ€˜ar marumaru,Feuerbaum; Flammenbaum,ohai 'ula,alasippu; doddartnagrandhi; erraturyl; gulimohur; gulmohur; gultora; kattikayi; mayarum; mayirkonri; panjadi; peddaturyl; shima sunkesula,te kai te tua; te tau; te tua,tabachÃn, meei flower; nfayarbaw; pilampwoia weitahta; sakuranirow,bin,pine,gulmohur,mayirkonri; panjadi,ohai; patai, fuatausaga,acacia roja gold||Red, Orange Red.||Late spring and early summer.||30 to 50 feet||Easy.|
Planting and care
|Full Sun.||Acidic, Neutral, Alkaline||Drought Tolerant, Average Water.||Should not be exposed to temperatures below about 45F (7.2 C).||Use a complete fertilizer with a ratio such as 8-4-12 or 7-3-7.|
Caring for Gulmohar
- Flame trees perform best in large, open spaces and full sunlight.
- Plant the tree in a big landscape where it has room to spread; the roots are sturdy enough to lift asphalt.
- Also, keep in mind that the tree drops spent blooms and seed pods that require raking.
- The flamboyant flame tree benefits from consistent moisture during the first growing season.
- After that time, young trees appreciate watering once or twice per week during dry weather.
- Well-established trees require very little supplemental irrigation.
- Delonix flame tree care is limited to an annual feeding in spring.
- Use a complete fertilizer with a ratio such as 8-4-12 or 7-3-7. Prune out damaged wood after blooming ends in late summer, beginning when the tree is about one year old.
- Avoid severe pruning, which can put a stop to blooming for as long as three years.
Typical uses of Gulmohar
Ornamental use: Feature Plant, Shade Trees, Street Trees, Tropical Use this â€œbeyond beautifulâ€ tree as a seaside specimen or space-requiring street tree near the beach or inland. It may also be trained as a bonsai.