Euphorbia Tirucalli, Pencil Tree - Plant
Description for Euphorbia Tirucalli, Pencil Tree
A Pencil Cactus Plant, Euphorbia tirucalli, is not a cactus plant at all but rather a member of the Euphorbia family, like a Poinsettia. This unique looking plant, native to Africa and India, is also referred to as Indian Tree Spurge, Naked Lady Plant, Aveloz, Milk Bush Plant, and Petroleum Plant.
The green succulent stems of a Pencil Cactus, which are about the width of a pencil, branch upwards in an almost geometrical pattern. This is a very different looking plant that I wouldnâ€™t call beautiful and lush, but it is quite a conversation piece.
A Pencil Cactus Plant grows quickly and can reach a height of 10ft-15ft. outdoors and up to 6 feet in an indoor container. Although this is an easy care houseplant that just needs some bright light and a little bit of water to do well, it does have a downside.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Euphorbia Tirucalli, Pencil Tree,Pencil Tree, Firestick Plants.||Yellow green||June to July||24-36 in. (60-90 cm).||Easy to grow.|
Planting and care
The pencil cactus is a large plant native to Africa and India. The plant is ideal for sunny warm spots indoors or greenhouse growing. Care of pencil cactus is minimal. Euphorbia tirucalli, or pencil cactus, is a tropical plant that may become 30 feet tall in habitat.
The stems are slender and slightly toothed with no obvious foliage. The branches are the diameter of a pencil, which give rise to the name. The new growth on the end may be tinged pink and have tiny leaves which disappear as the branch matures.
|Full Sun to Partial Shade||Well-drained soil||Medium||65 F. (18 C.)||Apply any organic fertilizer|
Caring for Euphorbia Tirucalli
- A pencil cactus needs very little care and can even be neglected if it is planted and situated correctly.
- The soil must be slightly gritty and well draining.
- The container to use could be an unglazed pot which will allow excess moisture to evaporate.
- Euphorbia plants are quite adapted to limited fertility environments and care of pencil cactus requires only one fertilization in spring.
- Full sun and temperatures of at least 65 F. (18 C.) or warmer are necessary when learning how to care for a pencil cactus.
- Pencil cactus is easy to grow. It will need water approximately every two to three weeks in summer but no water in winter. Allow the plant to dry out between irrigation.
Typical uses of Euphorbia Tirucalli
Ornamental use: The plant is used for ornamental purpose