Heliconia Psittacorum, Heliconia Lady Diana (Orange) - Plant
Description for Heliconia Psittacorum, Heliconia Lady Diana (Orange)
It is one that resembles most to the birds-of-paradise. It is an exotic, which blooms abundantly all year long. It has long pointed leaves which shiny green with a red edge. The leaves look similar to that of a banana. It is an exotic, which blooms abundantly all year long. The flowers also make good cut flowers.Very beautiful as a potted plant on the patio in a decorative container.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Golden Torch||Orange||Blossoms in spring,summer and fall.||2 feet - 5 feet.||Easy.|
Planting and care
|It needs to be grown in full sun||Freely draining soils with high organic matter.||Allow the soil to dry out upto top 2 inches before watering again.||The plant requires a hot atmosphere.||This plant loves to be fed. Fertilize 3 times a year with a top quality granular fertilizer.|
Supplement feedings with regular applications of liquid fertilizer during warm months for heavier bloom.
Caring for Heliconia Psittacorum
- The plant requires a high humidity area. It can be grown well next to a water body.
- Add top soil or organic peat humus to the hole when you plant. You might also add in composted cow manure to enrich the soil around the plant's rootball.
- Dead leaves and old stems that have finished flowering should be removed to encourage more flowering.
- In spring cut back to the ground any cold damaged stalks.
- This plant loves to be fed. Fertilize 3 times a year with a top quality granular fertilizer. Supplement feedings with regular applications of liquid fertilizer during warm months for heavier bloom.Regular irrigation is a must.
- This plant needs water and and it needs it often (2 to 3 times a week in summer), though it doesn't do well in a boggy area.
Typical uses of Heliconia Psittacorum
Special features: Used as Bedding Plant, Container Plant, Cut flower Plant, Feature Plant, Ground cover Plant and Mixed Border Plant
Ornamental use: The flowers make good cut flowers. Very beautiful as a potted plant on the patio in a decorative container.