Brahma Kamal, Saussurea obvallata - Plant
The Brahma Kamal is the most reverred flower of the Himalayas. It is an excellent example of plant life at high mountains (3,000-4,600 m). The flowers found in monsoons and abundant in high-altitude places like The Valley of Flowers and Hemkund Sahib.
Common name: Saussurea obvallata
Bloom time: June to September
Height: 0.3 m (1 ft).
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
You will find it easily at Hemkund Shahib Lake and one the way to Hemkund Sahib. (Last kilometer. This picture was clicked on 6th September, 2012 at Hemkund Shahib Lake . You will not find this flower at Valley of Flowers
Sunlight: Full Sun
Soil: well-drained soil
Temprature: 19 °C
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Apply a high-potassium liquid fertilizer every 2 weeks from early spring until 6 weeks after flowering.
- Keep moist in winter.
It is Used to treat cerebral ischemia and paralysis of the limbs. Infact we can say the entire plant is used.
- This plant is applied to cuts and bruises as local medicine.
- Brahma Kamal is s herb in Tibetan medicine and it is Sah-du Goh-ghoo.
- It has a somewhat bitter taste and it promotes heat.
- It is Used to treat cerebral ischemia and paralysis of the limbs.
- Infact we can say the entire plant is used.
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
for medicinal use