Nariyal, Coconut (Golden, Grafted) - Plant
Description for Nariyal, Coconut (Golden, Grafted)
Easily grown in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils in full sun. Prefers fertile, slightly alkaline, loose, somewhat gritty loams with good drainage. Add lime to acidic soils to adjust the soil pH. Best grown with regular and consistent moisture during the growing season.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Nariyal, Coconut (Green, Grown through seeds),Cocus nucifera, Yubi ,Tennai,Thengu,kobbari chettu,kobbari kaya,Narlu,Naral ,Shriphal||-||May to June||Upto 30 m||easy to grow|
Planting and care
To start to grow a coconut plant, begin with a fresh coconut that still has the husk on it. When you shake it, it still should sound like it has water in it. Soak it in water for two to three days. After the coconut has soaked, place it in a container filled with well-draining potting soil.
|Full sun||Fertilizing coconut plants with a mixture of nitrogen, potassium and magnesium in April, June and August helps the trees grow strong and produce nuts.||Water the coconut frequently but make sure the container drains very well.||21 C and above||Apply any organic fertilizer|
Caring for Nariyal
- First, water the coconut tree frequently. As long as the soil drains well, you really canâ€™t water it too often.
- If you decide to repot your coconut tree, remember to add sand or vermiculite to the new soil to keep the water draining well.>
- Second, growing coconut palms are heavy feeders that require regular, complete fertilizer.
- Look for a fertilizer that provides both the basic nutrients plus trace nutrients like boron, manganese and magnesium. Third, coconut palms are very cold sensitive.
- If you live in an area that gets cold, your coconut plant will need to come inside for the winter.
- Provide supplemental light and keep it away from drafts.
- In the summer, grow it outdoors and make sure you place it in a very sunny and warm spot.
Typical uses of Nariyal
Culinary use: Fruit used in many dishes
Ornamental use: The leaves are used to prepare decorative objects.