Duranta Golden Edge - Plant
Description for Duranta Golden Edge
In the summer, cascading clusters of blue tubular flowers appear followed by wonderfully contrasting orange-yellow berries. This variegated form has creamy-yellow margins around the one inch long serrated leaves. In mild climates this plant can be in flower nearly year round with flowers and fruit appearing at the same time.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Variegated Sky Flower, pigeon-berry, golden dewdrop.||Golden||Spring, summer||5-8 feet.||Easy to grow|
Planting and care
Dig holes or beds wide, not deep. Lightly amend heavy clay or sandy soils with organic matter.
Gently remove plants from containers, keeping the root ball intact. Loosen potting soil and roots around bottom and edges of root ball
Level plant with surrounding soil, spreading roots outward. Fill roots around with lightly amended native soil.
Water to settle soil around roots.
Cover the area with leaf or bark mulch 1 - 3 inches thick but not piled up onto the plant s stem/trunk Water deeply.Stake large shrubs or trees to prevent excess movement in strong winds.
|Full Sun, Partial Sun||Rich organic soil that is somewhat loamy and drains well.||Frequent deep watering.||About 20-25 Â° F.||Slow -fertilizers help encourage prolific flowering and fruiting.|
Caring for Duranta Golden Edge
- Slow -fertilizers help encourage prolific flowering and fruiting.
- It is important to water frequently while the plant is establishing.
- Water requirements after establishments are low, watering just enough to keep the soil moist and more during times of drought.
- Some renewal pruning is necessary to keep a nice shape.
- Duranta propagation is fairly easy using a piece of the woody limb (hardwood cutting) taken in the summer.
- Dip the end of 6-inch piece of limb into rooting compound and plant. Roots will establish fairly quickly.
- Seeds are also available and also seem to do well.
Typical uses of Duranta Golden Edge
Ornamental use: It is an excellent plant to create contrast with its green hard white foliage and bluish flowers.
Perfect for all kinds of containers, including window boxes, hanging baskets and combination planters.
They may be used to liven porches and patios. Grow as a small tree in frost-free climates.