Wild Asparagus, Shatavari - Seeds ( buy1get1free )
Description for Wild Asparagus, Shatavari
Asparagus, or garden asparagus, scientific name Asparagus officinalis, is a spring vegetable, a flowering perennial plant species in the genus Asparagus.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|asparagus fern||White||Seasonal bloomer||2.00 to 3.00 feet||easy to grow|
Planting and care
Start prepping your soil one year before transplanting wild asparagus. Asparagus performs best when planted in an area with loose, well-drained, fertile, sandy loam or loamy soil with a pH level between 6.0 and 6.7; the area should receive eight hours of sunlight daily. Present a soil sample to your countyâ€™s agricultural extension office and request a full analysis
|Partial Shade||well-drained soil. pH 7 to 8||Medium||60 to 65 degrees||Apply any organic fertilizer|
Caring for Wild Asparagus
- Till the soil for the asparagus bed to a depth of 1 foot using a mechanized tiller.
- Add 2 inches of organic compost over the tilled soil and work it again to a depth of 1 foot with the tiller.
- If necessary, distribute the recommended amount of lime evenly over the tilled soil and work it again to a depth of 4 or 5 inches with the tiller.
- rrigate the soil until moist to a depth of 8 inches.
- Check the depth of moistness by pressing a 10- to 12-inch-long wood skewer in the soil and measuring how far up the skewer the water reached.
Generally speaking, a plant puts up a set of skinny spears first, then fat ones, then finishes with skinny ones
Typical uses of Wild Asparagus
Where winter hardy, it may be grown in borders or along foundations. Forms an interesting ground cover. Use in pots, containers and hanging baskets.
In Ayurvedic medicine, the root of Satavari is used in the form of juice, paste, decoction and powder to treat intrinsic haemorrhage, diarrhoea, piles, hoarseness of voice, cough, arthritis, poisoning, diseases of female genital tract, erysipelas, fever, as aphrodisiac and as rejuvinative.
- http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=b578 http://www.flowersofindia.net/risearch/search.php?query=%09Wild+Asparagus&stpos=0&stype=AND
You may browse related categories
Want to write review ?Click here to Login
What garden lovers say ... ?
There are yet no reviews for this product.