Description for Carrot Selection Red
You can grow carrots all year round â€“ and they are so simple! Just sow carrot seed regularly for a year-round crop.
Carrots are an easy and rewarding crop to grow, great for encouraging children to eat their vegetables! With so many varieties of this popular vegetable available, carrots can be grown in beds, containers and even window boxes making them suitable for gardens of any size.
Carrots are a popular root vegetable that are easy to grow in sandy soil. They are resistant to most pests and diseases, and are a good late season crop that can tolerate frost.
Not all carrots are orange; varieties vary in colour like purple, black to white.
Planting and care
Sow your carrot seeds in shallow drills about 2cm deep. Spacing for carrots is 3-4cm between plants and 20-25cm between rows. They should start to pop their heads above the ground in approx 17 days.
Caring for Carrot Selection Red
- Gently mulch to retain moisture, speed germination and block the sun from the roots.
- Soil should be well drained and loose to prevent forking and stunting of the root growth.
- Once plants are an inch tall, thin so they stand 3 inches apart. Snip them with scissors instead of pulling them out to prevent damage to the roots of remaining plants.
- Water at least one inch per week.
- Weed diligently.
- Fertilize 5-6 weeks after sowing.
- Carrots taste much better after a couple of frosts. Following the first hard frost in the fall, cover carrot rows with an 18-inch layer of shredded leaves to preserve them for harvesting later.
Carrots are mature at around 2 and half months and half an inch in diameter. You may harvest whenever the desired maturity is reached. You may leave mature carrots in the soil for storage if the ground will not freeze. To store freshly harvested carrots, twist off the tops, scrub off the dirt under cold running water, let dry and seal in airtight plastic bags, and refrigerate. Carrots can be stored in tubs of moist sand for winter use.
Typical uses of Carrot Selection Red
Special features: Carrots are a popular root vegetable that are easy to grow in sandy soil. They are resistant to most pests and diseases, and are a good late season crop that can tolerate frost. Not all carrots are orange; varieties vary in color from purple to white.
Ornamental use: NA
Medicinal use: Carrots are rich in vitamin A, calcium and trace elements decay.
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments
Really good quality vegetable Seeds. Packaging was very good. Will recommend to everyone.
All seeds germinated waiting to grow 2 weeks over growing nicely
Nicely packed. Have tried some of the seeds and they germinated quite well - would recommend to all
Good germination rate..n what impresses me the most is the amount of seeds they provide..good work!
almost all seeds did sprout but growth is slow
Any query about carrot selection red - seeds