Heliconia Psittacorum, Heliconia Lady Diana (Red) - Plant
Description for Heliconia Psittacorum, Heliconia Lady Diana (Red)
It is one that resembles most to the birds-of-paradise. It is an exotic, which blooms abundantly all year long. It has long pointed leaves which shiny green with a red edge. The leaves look similar to that of a banana. It is an exotic, which blooms abundantly all year long. The flowers also make good cut flowers.Very beautiful as a potted plant on the patio in a decorative container.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|-||Red||Spring,summer and fall.||2 to 5 feet.||Easy.|
Planting and care
|Full sun||Freely draining soils with high organic matter.||Allow the soil to dry out upto top 2 inches before watering again.||The plant requires a hot atmosphere.||This plant loves to be fed. Fertilize 3 times a year with a top quality granular fertilizer.|
Supplement feedings with regular applications of liquid fertilizer during warm months for heavier bloom.
Caring for Heliconia Psittacorum
- The plant requires a high humidity area. It can be grown well next to a water body.
- Add top soil or organic peat humus to the hole when you plant. You might also add in composted cow manure to enrich the soil around the plant's rootball.
- Dead leaves and old stems that have finished flowering should be removed to encourage more flowering.
- In spring cut back to the ground any cold damaged stalks.
- This plant loves to be fed. Fertilize 3 times a year with a top quality granular fertilizer. Supplement feedings with regular applications of liquid fertilizer during warm months for heavier bloom.Regular irrigation is a must.
- This plant needs water and and it needs it often (2 to 3 times a week in summer), though it doesn't do well in a boggy area.
Typical uses of Heliconia Psittacorum
Special features: Used as Bedding Plant, Container Plant, Cut flower Plant, Feature Plant, Ground cover Plant and Mixed Border Plant
Ornamental use: The flowers make good cut flowers. Very beautiful as a potted plant on the patio in a decorative container.
Want to write review ?Click here to Login
What garden lovers say ... ?
Wow nice plants and delivered in great condition..
Excellent service and good product. Well packed and well delivered. Though few leaves were fallen but plant was almost ok.
This is easy to grow with low maintenance requirements