Dragon Fruit, Ajagar Phal ( Grown through seeds ) - Plant
Description for Dragon Fruit, Ajagar Phal ( Grown through seeds )
The exact origin is unknown but is likely from Southern Mexico through Costa Rica. A truly amazing cactus, Dragon Fruit Cactus is a highly prolific climber with an epiphytic nature using aerial roots to help propel itself ever higher and farther along whatever path it can find to reach lengths of up to 20 feet or more.Easily adapted to a variety of climates and soils this night blooming cactus is world renowned and is cultivated around the world in tropical regions for the fruit it bears.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Dragon fruit, pitaya, pitahaya, Night blooming Cereus, king of the nihgt, Strawberry Pear, Belle of the Night, Cinderella Plant||White||May to June||10 to 20 feet||Easy to grow|
Planting and care
Plant flush with the soil line. Fertilize only occasionally. Water the dragon fruit plant in the same manner as a tropical cactus.
|Full sun to part shade||Well-drained soil||Medium||10 to 30 degrees C||Apply any organic fertilizer|
Caring for Dragon Fruit
- Dragon Fruit Cactus must be treated like a Tropical Cactus and water when nearly dry but try to keep the climbing pole moist.
- An automatic dripper at the top of the post works well.
- Well-drained, sandy cactus mix.
- Remember try to stay away from wet, mucky soils.
- Fertilizer can be detrimental to Dragon Fruit Cactus and too much can kill the plant so fertilize sparingly with low-nitrogen cactus fertilizer, slow time release is best.
- For in-ground planting, broadcast a balanced granular fertilizer once a month. Dragon Fruit Cactus are light feeders, however unfertilized they will tend to grow very slowly and virtually remain dormant.
These plants start bearing fruits in the first year itself. Generally, these plants starts flowering in May to June month and bears fruits from Aug to Dec month.
Typical uses of Dragon Fruit
Special features: This fruit helps in controlling diabetes, preventing arthritis, improving heart health, weight management, fighting against aging, preventing asthma, lowering cholesterol.
This fruit is high in fats and proteins. This fruit is high in vitamins & minerals. This fruit is a good source of antioxidants.
Culinary use: NA
Ornamental use: The plant is used for an ornamental purpose.
Medicinal use: Unverified information Tuber paste is applied externally to cure scabies.
Want to write review ?Click here to Login
What garden lovers say ... ?
Got the plant in good condition, and it is growing well.
Amazed us with safe and sound delivery
Tried my self 90% germination rate.Go for it