True Cinnamon, Tamala Patram - Plant
Description for Bay Leaf, Tamala Patram
Bay leaf also known as sweet laurel leaf is a dried leaf or ever green shrub that belongs the family of â€œLauraceae' and whose botanical name is "Laurus nobilis Lâ€. Bay leaf is indigenous to Asia and reï¬‚ects the shape of elliptical and the size of bay leaves vary from 2.5 to s cm in length & 1.5 to 2.5 in breadth. In india, bay leaves are popularly known as Tej patta in Hindi and mainly used as culinary herb. it works as a ï¬‚avouring agent especially inâ€œbiryani': soups, meat, stews and sauces.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Tej patta||-||Spring to Summer||2.00 to 3.00 feet||easy to grow|
Planting and care
Spring or Fall planting is recommended, especially in hot areas. Spring shipments should arrive after the ground has thawed and danger of hard frost has passed. Fall shipments should arrive several weeks before freezing weather, although you can plant later if you will mulch the plants.
Preparing for your new daylilies.Work your ground in advance, incorporating organic material such as compost or well-rotted manure if possible.Spacing-Daylily plants come in a wide range of sizes, but here are some general guidelines to follow: Small Flower & Miniatures: 16" to 24" Large Flowers: 18" to 30" For a closed bed or border: 12" to 18"
|Full sun to part shade||well-drained soil||Medium||-35f||Apply any organic fertilizer|
Caring for Bay Leaf
- Feed a good organic fertilizer to your tree twice a year, once in the spring and once in the summer.Make sure the fertilizer you choose is good for both indoor and outdoor plants.
- Pruning is the most important thing for your bay leaf tree for maintaining its shape and size. You need to keep its height, width, and shape pruned. Remember, it wants to become a 30-60 foot tree!
- You need to prune twice a year, once in the early spring and once in the late summer. In the spring, besides regular pruning, you need to look at the base of the tree for additional shoots/stems. If you see any, you will need to prune them off and leave just the original trunk.
- Make sure to water your plant regularly, especially in the summer. While bay trees do not want to be soggy, they will become stressed if they do not receive enough water.
- Check your bay leaf tree regularly for rusting, mottling, mold, leaf spots, and pests.
You can start to harvest bay once the plant is a couple of years old. The leaves should be dried before use, as fresh bay is bitter. The best wait time is around 48 to 72 hours from the time you pick a leaf.
I know you get long-dried bay leaves at the store, but the freshly dried leaves have better, deeper flavor.
Typical uses of Bay Leaf
Special features: Bay leaf is a favorite in cooking. It is commonly used whole in stews, sauces and soups.
Ornamental use: The plant is also used for ornamental purpose.
Medicinal use: Unverified information Root and leaves-used in intermittent fevers, biliousness, jaundice; also in rheumatic affections; bruised in salt water, used in skin diseases. A decoction of the root bark is given to women to control fits at the time of delivery.