Ground Orchid, Spathoglottis Plicata (Purple) - Plant
Description for Ground Orchid, Spathoglottis Plicata (Purple)
This easily grown terrestrial herb has pretty, arching broad leaves with prominent parallel veins and a few or large cluster of small flowers at the end of a long stalk as tall as 1 metre arising from a basal leaf axil. The leaves emerge from round pseudo bulbs that become increasingly multiple and larger as the orchid matures.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Ground Orchid||White, Violet/Lavender, Light pink, Orange-Yellow.||Round the year.||2 feet.||Easy.|
Planting and care
|Full sun to partial shade.||Orchid mixes or a combination of orchid mix and soil-less potting mix for general potted plants.||Water thoroughly, then allow the surface and top layer of the planting media to dry out before you water it again.||They like to live in the high 80s during the day and no cooler than 50 F. (10 C.) at night.||Fertilize the orchid with a reduced-strength 20-20-20 fertilizer tablet once a month by inserting it about 6 inches deep in the center of the growing medium.|
Caring for Ground Orchid
- Attach a bamboo stake to the orchids spike when it reaches around 12 inches tall with orchid spring clips spaced every 2 inches.
- Orchids need ample water but should be allowed to dry out some between waterings.
- One way to check for watering is by poking your finger about an inch into the growing media.
- If it is dry, give it some water; otherwise, let it be. Indoor orchid plants also need adequate humidity, about fifty to seventy percent.
- There are various ways to increase the humidity in your home.
- Place a water-filled saucer or tray of pebbles beneath plants, mist plants daily, or use a humidifier.
Typical uses of Ground Orchid
Ornamental use: Ground Orchids can do well in your flower beds almost year round. Ground orchids can be grown as potted plants.
You may browse related categories
Want to write review ?Click here to Login
What garden lovers say ... ?
Wow nice plants in good condition delivered..?
Gift for my father and he loved it
Can you ensure that your packaging will not spoil the plant.