With this purchase you will get:
Description for Dianthus (White)
Dianthus are garden classics, appearing in many shapes and colours, most with blue/green or blue frosted quill-like foliage. Long blooming, perfect for small bouquets-most are fragrant.
A cottage garden is not complete without several Dianthus. All are heat tolerant and low maintenance beauties.
The dianthus plant is also called Sweet William (Dianthus barbatus) and has a fragrance with cinnamon or clove notes.
The plants are small and usually between 6 and 18 inches tall. Dianthus flowers are most often in pink, salmon, red and white hues. The foliage is slender and sparsely spread on thick stems.The Dianthus genus includes annuals, biennials and perennials
that are commonly known as Carnations, Pinks or Sweet Williams. Most garden varieties of Dianthus plants grow from 10 to 20 inches tall, however some species can vary from 2 inches to 3 feet tall in height.
Planting and care
Caring for Dianthus
- Dianthus is generally not susceptible to serious diseases, but may become infected with aphids or other insects.
- Inspect once per month for aphids and other pests.
- Treat with insecticidal soaps or through biological controls, such as beneficial predatory insects.
- Feed dianthus every other month with all-purpose liquid fertilizer.
- Do not water during rainy or wet seasons as the roots will need to dry between watering.
- Plant out in May, 4-6 plants/sq.metrer in sunny, half shade spot.
Typical uses of Dianthus
Culinary use: Dianthus is also often used in cooking. (When using this herb for cooking make sure to remove the petal base â€“ it is quite bitter!) Fresh dianthus petals can be used to liven up salads, sandwiches and pies. The petals of the flowers, when crystallized, make beautiful decorations for cakes and pastries.
Ornamental use: Can be used as an ornamental plant in landscapes and gardens.
What Customer says ?
Want to tell us your experience with this product ? Just login and add your comments
How old is the plant you have shown..?
Attractive plants for pot culture
Is the item durable?
This Exotic Plant looks so beautiful.
Does best in rich, well-draining soil.
Any query about dianthus (white) - plant