Celosia (Light Yellow) - Plant
Description for Celosia (Light Yellow)
Cockscomb is an annual herb and is very common as a garden plant. The tightly clustered blooms are said to resemble a rooster s comb, thus the common name cockscomb. Flower colors include red, yellow, orange, gold, and pink. The celosias or cockscombs are erect, branching plants with oval or lance-shaped, brightly colored flowerheads which usually stand above the foliage.
The Cristata cultivars are good in containers, and prized for Japanese flower arrangements. have unusual flowers that can bloom up to 10 weeks. These flowers can have red, pink, purple, gold or bicolored blooms. When many celosia flower blooms are next to each other, they collectively resemble fire, which is why the name Celosia, meaning burning in Greek, was chosen.
The common name of cockscomb comes from the bloomâ€™s resemblance to a roosterâ€™s comb. Not all celosia flowers look this way â€“ there are many shapes, colors and sizes (from 6 inches to 2 feet). And each blossom is made up of many tiny flowers, which is why this flower will produce numerous small seeds and keep sprouting in your plant containers with no extra effort on your part. Celosia flowers also look great in vases and bouquets, so you can bring their beauty indoors.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Brain Celosia, woolflowers or cockscombs||Yellow||Mostly grown as an annual.||10 to 12 inches apart||Easy to grow|
Planting and care
The plant perform best in big size containers (8in or more) or plant them on ground
|The cockscomb flower requires full sun to do best. Celosia plants require a minimum of eight hours of direct sunlight.||Celosia plants require soil that drains quickly. Poorly draining planting sites can cause them to develop root rot. Celosias will grow in nutrient-poor, sandy soil but thrive and bloom more profusely in soil that contains high levels of organic matter. Soil pH levels between 6 and 6.5 are best. this flower can be grown as a perennial plant in container gardens. In other zones, the celosia flower is usually grown as an annual flower. Celosia species do not tolerate cold.||Keep the celosia flower s potting soil moist, but not wet. Water them as often as necessary to keep the soil consistently moist.||Celosia plants require a minimum of eight hours of direct sunlight and soil that drains quickly.||Fertilize the celosia flower once a month. These flowers thrive with a rich potting soil, so you may want to include compost or a fertilizer with a high amount of nitrogen.|
Caring for Celosia
- They are all easy to care for as long as their soil and sunlight requirements are met.Poorly draining planting sites can cause them to develop root rot.
- To test how quickly the soil drains, remove the top and bottom from a large coffee can, dig a 4-inch-deep hole in the soil, the same circumference as the can, and insert the can into the hole.
- Fill the can with water and check the water level after one hour.
- If the water level drops between 2 and 5 inches, the drainage is good.
- When the water level drops less than 2 inches, the drainage is poor.
- Perlite can be added along with soil amendments to improve the soil s drainage or you can plant celiosa in containers or raised beds.
- Celosia can be planted in the garden in the spring when temperatures will remain above 60 degrees Fahrenheit. They will be damaged if the temperature drops lower than that.
Typical uses of Celosia
Special features: In south India, cockscombs are used extensively for the Onam "Pookkalam".
Culinary use: Some Celosia species are used for food
Ornamental use: In south India, cockscombs are used extensively for the Onam Pookkalam.
Medicinal use: It is used as a treatment for intestinal worms (particularly tapeworm), blood diseases, mouth sores, eye problems. The seeds treat chest complaints and the flowers treat diarrhea. The leaves are used as dressings for boils and sores, and the boiled vegetables are said to be slightly diuretic.
Want to write review ?Click here to Login
What garden lovers say ... ?
I Bought this product and received quickly .Quality wise awesome
Suddenly all my house plants have started blooming and have lush foliage :)
Thank you very much. Love your company and site.