Sticky Chickweed is a cosmopolitan weed found in some hill-stations in North India, which probably came from Eurasia. It is an annual herb 10-35 cm tall. Stem are simple or branched, erect to rising. Stems are hairy, often on one side.
Leaves are 1-2 cm long, 3-7 mm broad, obovate-elliptic to lanceshaped-elliptic, sparsely or densely hairy, with a pointed to blunt tip and stalkless base. Bracts are herbacious
Common name: Chickweed
Bloom time: April-July.
Height: 5 ft 5 in (165 cm)
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
Tiny flowers are borne in cymes at branch ends or in leaf axils, often loose on long slender stalks and with slender branches. Sepals are narrowly lanceshaped, green with white margin. Petals are white, about 3 mm, very deeply divided into two. Tropical Chickweed is native to Africa, America, naturalise India.
Sunlight: Full Sun
Soil: well-drained soil
Temprature: 47 °C.
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- Tropical Chickweed is a prostrate herb with dichotomous branching.
- Leaves are very broadly ovate, almost round, with heart-shaped base, carried on stalks up to 1 cm.
- Leaves are hairless, 1-3.
- 5 x 0.
- 6-3 cm, 3-7-nerved at base.
- Avoid wearing your Desis when it is pouring outside.
- In case they do get wet, keep them out in the sun to dry and they will be just fine.
- When not in use, make sure you keep them away from moisture; safe in the jute bag with the small silica pouch that comes along with your Desis.
sparsely or densely hairy, with a pointed to blunt tip and stalkless base. Bracts are herbacious. Flower stalk is densely glandular-hairy, shorter or as long as the sepal-cup. Flowers are borne in roundish heads at the end of branches.
- The pounded leaf is applied to snake bites in China.
- The plant is appetizer, depurative, emollient, febrifuge, laxative and stimulant.
- The juice of the plant is used.
- Tropical Chickweed is widely used in traditional African medicine for the treatment of diverse ailments including painful and febrile conditions.
:for medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor before use.