About Methi Bombay Wali
Fenugreek, Latin name Trigonella foenum-graecum, is an annual herb native to southern Europe and Asia. The plant grows quickly to 2 feet tall and fixes nitrogen into the soil. White or yellow flowers appear in the early summer and develop yellow-brown seed pods in the fall.
This legume plant is used for food, seasoning, condiments, medicine, dye and livestock forage. The plant and seed give off a maple aroma and taste. This herb is tender and does not survive freezing weather, so the seeds are cultivated during the spring after the last frost occurs.
|Common Name ||Trigonella foenum-graecum (botanical name), methi, samudra methi, shanbalile, abesh, hilbeh, hilba, helba, halba|
|Height ||0.3 to 0.8 meters |
|Flower Colour ||White flowers|
|Bloom Time ||spring to early autumn seasons.|
|Difficulty Level ||Easy|
Planting and care
- The plant does not like to be transplanted after germination, so the seeds should be sown at the final place
- Or you can sow seeds in biodegradable pots which can be put directly into the ground later on
- Sow seeds about 5 mm deep and 50 mm apart in straight line trenches for seed sowing
- You can also sow the seeds in criss-cross patterns
- In stead of sowing in trenches, you can just sprinkle the seeds on the bed and cover with soil
- Water well and keep soil well-moistened
- Seeds will germinate in 3-5 days
- In the areas of frost, it may be started indoors 5 weeks prior to the last frost of the season
- The seedlings can be transplanted outdoors when the soil temperature is around 15°C (60°F)
- I sow seeds every 2-3 weeks in the season, so that when the first set of plants die, I am having the next set to get fresh methi
Methi Bombay Wali care
- Choose a suitable place for planting
- Choose a position in full sun and with soil that is of good to rich quality and drains well
- The soil should have a pH of around 6
- 0 and should remain dry and warm
- Avoid cold, wet soils as these will cause fenugreek seeds to rot
- As a legume, fenugreek adds nitrogen to the soil, making it useful as a cover crop restoring nitrogen to the soil
|Sunlight ||full sun to part shade.|
|Watering || Keep the soil moist, but do not over-water.|
|Soil ||neutral to slightly acid (pH 6.0-7.0) soil.
|Temperature ||15 to 30 degree C |
|Fertilizer ||you can mix manure or compost in soil while planting.|
|Harvest Season || Methi leaves will be ready to harvest within 3-4 weeks After planting.|
Methi Bombay Wali special feature
Fenugreek is an annual growing herb native to the Mediterranean and Western Asia. Fenugreek leaves are not only very easy to grow from seeds in pots or ground at home, but also extremely beneficial herb.
Methi Bombay Wali uses
- Using Fenugreek as an Herbal Remedy Fenugreek can be taken internally or used topically
- It is most often used to treat coughs and sore throat, although current research suggests that it may be effective in the treatment of Type 2 diabetes, can help lower blood cholesterol levels and increase circulation
- It is also often recommended as a herbal treatment for tinnitus
- Note: Use only after consulting the specialist
- Its sweet and hot aroma like pepper and crunchy sour taste somewhat like spinach ,creates a magic
- It is popularly used in Indian, Persian, Egyptian and Ethiopian cuisines, to prepare tastiest recipes
- Fresh seeds used to sprinkle on salad and dried seeds in pickles
Frequently Asked Questions
How tall do methi bombay wali grow?
On average methi bombay wali grows 0.3 to 0.8 meters
What color are methi bombay wali ?
A methi bombay wali plant bears flowers of color White flowers
How hard is methi bombay wali to grow?
A methi bombay wali is Easy
How much sunlight does a methi bombay wali need?
A methi bombay wali prefers full sun to part shade.
How much water does a methi bombay wali need?
A methi bombay wali prefers watering Keep the soil moist, but do not over-water.
What kind of soil does a methi bombay wali need?
neutral to slightly acid (pH 6.0-7.0) soil.
What temperature does a methi bombay wali like?
How should I fertilize my methi bombay wali ?
you can mix manure or compost in soil while planting.
Wednesday, 18 March 2020
Tuesday, 03 March 2020
Monday, 17 February 2020
Please log in to write a review. Log in