About Sorrel Herb
It is a hardy perennial herb grown for its leaves. Sorrel has large, light to dark green, oblong-shaped and spinach-like leaves. It comes as fresh or frozen and chopped or whole.
Its taste ranges from a refreshing, sharply acidic, or astringent spinach-like taste with bitter notes to a milder, lemony taste. The younger leaves are less acidic. The dried leaf loses its citrusylike flavor.
|Common Name ||Spinach dock and Narrow-leaved dock.|
|Height ||12-18 inches.|
|Flower Colour ||Yellow-Reddish|
|Bloom Time ||Summer|
|Difficulty Level ||Easy to grow.|
Planting and care
- Water the sorrel plant regularly
- Mulching will help conserve moisture and keep the leaves clean
Apply any organic fertilizer every year
- Cut the seed stalks to the ground and remove any declining leaves
- The plant should re-sprout with more tender leaves
- Sorrel will self-seed if you leave the seed heads on the plants
To keep your plants healthy and vigorous, divide them in spring or early summer every 3-4 years
|Sunlight ||Full sun.|
|Watering ||Moderately. |
|Soil ||Well drained soil with lots of organic matter.|
|Temperature ||12-25 degrees C|
|Fertilizer ||Apply any organic fertilizer during growth.|
|Harvest Season ||Summer|
Sorrel Herb uses
- Sorrel helps in maintaining healthy vision, skin, immune function, growth, and reproductive health
- Sorrel plant have fiber which may also help ward against certain health conditions including cancer, obesity, and type 2 diabetes
Sorrel is a primary ingredient in Essiac tea, a propriety blend of herbal tea that was rumored to cure breast cancer and prevent other diseases including HIV/AIDS and diabetes
- Its pungent and sour leaves are used as a vegetable, as a flavoring in omelets and sauces, and as the chief ingredient of creamed sorrel soup
- The young leaves are used in salads
Frequently Asked Questions
How tall do sorrel herb grow?
On average sorrel herb grows 12-18 inches.
What color are sorrel herb ?
A sorrel herb plant bears flowers of color Yellow-Reddish
How hard is sorrel herb to grow?
A sorrel herb is Easy to grow.
How much sunlight does a sorrel herb need?
A sorrel herb prefers Full sun.
How much water does a sorrel herb need?
A sorrel herb prefers watering Moderately.
What kind of soil does a sorrel herb need?
Well drained soil with lots of organic matter.
What temperature does a sorrel herb like?
How should I fertilize my sorrel herb ?
Apply any organic fertilizer during growth.
Wednesday, 18 March 2020
Thursday, 05 March 2020
Friday, 21 February 2020
Please log in to write a review. Log in