Note:: This seeds will be available in 3 weeks time.
Note: We do not provide germination guarantee in forestry, ornamental seeds & medicinal seeds. Proper germination instruction and plant care conditions must be followed by customer for expected results.
Mahua is a tropical deciduous fast-growing tree that grows to 20 meters in height and possesses evergreen or semi-evergreen foliage. It is cultivated in warm and humid regions for its oleaginous seeds, flowers and wood. The tree grows on a wide variety of soils but thrives best on sandy soil. The species is drought-resistant, strong light demander and readily suppressed under shade. It is not frost-hardy. It also grows on shallow, bouldery, clayey and calcareous soils.
Common name: Butter Tree, Mahua
Height: Grows to 20 meters in height
Difficulty level: Easy
Planting & Care
Sunlight: Requires a sunny position
Soil: Prefers a deep loamy or sandy-loam soil with good drainage. It also occurs on shallow bouldery, clayey and calcareous soils.
A full grown tree can produce up to 90 kg of flowers in a year
- Medicinally the tree is very valuable.
- The bark is used to cure leprosy and to heal wounds, tne flowers are prepared to relieve coughs, biliousness and heart-trouble while the fruit is given in cases of consumption and blood diseases.
- The fragrant fleshy flowers can be eaten raw or cooked.
- Rich in nectar, they are used as a sweetener and a source of sugar.
- They can also be dried for later use.
- The dried flowers can be powdered and added to flour.
- Excessive amounts can be intoxicating.
Both the ripe and the unripe fruit can be eaten.
- The outer fruit coat is eaten as a vegetable, whilst the fleshy cotyledons are dried and ground into a meal.
- The yellow fruit is about 5cm long.
An oil expressed from the seed is used both as a substitute for and an adulterant of ghee.
- The seeds are a source of illipe butter, used in making margarine and chocolate.
- The oil is of low quality.
The leaves are edible.
Sunday, 09 February 2020
Thursday, 11 October 2018
Really good quality vegetable Seeds. Packaging was very good. Will recommend to everyone.
Please log in to write a review. Log in