About Dodonaea Viscosa
Sapindaceae, also known as the soapberry family, is a family of flowering plants in the order Sapindales. There are about 140 to 150 genera with 1400 to 2000 species, including maple, ackee, horse chestnut, and lychee.
Hop Bush is a shrub growing to 1-3 m tall, rarely a small tree to 10 m tall.
It is commonly called hop bush because the colorful fruits resemble the fruits used in brewing. The leaves are simple elliptical, 6-13 cm long and 2-4 cm broad, and secrete a resinous substance. The flowers are yellow to orange-red, produced in short racemes. The fruit is a capsule 2 cm broad, red ripening brown, with three wings. The wood is extremely tough and durable.
|Common Name ||Hop Bush, Hopseed|
|Height ||1 to 3 m|
|Flower Colour ||Yellow to orange-red|
|Bloom Time ||July to August|
|Difficulty Level ||Easy to grow |
Planting and care
- Notched Leaf Soapnut is a medium to large size deciduous tree growing up to 18 m tall, with a 1
- 5 m trunk girth
- A bark is gray, shiny, covered with rough falling scales
Dodonaea Viscosa care
- The Sapindaceae are mostly trees and shrubs, and tendril-bearing vines comprising about 140 genera and 1,500 species
- The leaves are alternate, simple, or more commonly pinnately compound; stipules are absent except in the climbing forms
- The flowers are small, actinomorphic or zygomorphic, and commonly functionally unisexual, Although a given individual may bear seemingly bisexual flowers together with either male or female flowers
- The perianth typically is biseriate, consisting of calyx and corolla
|Sunlight ||Full Sun to Partial Shade|
|Soil ||Well-drained soil |
|Temperature ||20 to 40 degrees C|
|Fertilizer ||Apply any organic fertilizer |
Dodonaea Viscosa special feature
A few bisexual, both found in the same rusty-velvety panicles. Bisexual flowers provide ample pollen and nectar to bees.
Dodonaea Viscosa uses
- Fruits possess several medicinal properties and are widely used for example in the treatment of asthma, colic and dysentery, and during childbirth
Frequently Asked Questions
How tall do dodonaea viscosa grow?
On average dodonaea viscosa grows 1 to 3 m
What color are dodonaea viscosa?
A dodonaea viscosa plant bears flowers of color Yellow to orange-red
How hard is dodonaea viscosa to grow?
A dodonaea viscosa is Easy to grow
How much sunlight does a dodonaea viscosa need?
A dodonaea viscosa prefers Full Sun to Partial Shade
How much water does a dodonaea viscosa need?
A dodonaea viscosa prefers watering Medium
What kind of soil does a dodonaea viscosa need?
What temperature does a dodonaea viscosa like?
How should I fertilize my dodonaea viscosa?
Apply any organic fertilizer
Monday, 16 March 2020
Saturday, 29 February 2020
Tuesday, 04 February 2020
Please log in to write a review. Log in