Melampodium is a bright and carefree annual flower that is not used nearly enough. Also known as a butter daisy, this sun-loving cutie gifts its grower with constant blooms and with a proliferative disposition. Melampodium is a delightful addition to your garden beds, borders, or containers.
Common name: melampodium
Color: cheerful yellow daisy-like flowers
Bloom time: Fall Bloom, Summer Bloom
Height: HEIGHT:Under 6 inches
WIDTH:Up to 10 inches
Difficulty level: Easy
Planting & Care
Sunlight: full sun.
Soil: An average to rich, moist but well-drained soil is satisfactory.
Water: Give your young plants or transplants plenty of water in the beginning. Once your melampodium is established, it will enjoy water, but don’t overwater this one. Melampodium is a hardy and drought tolerant little plant that prefers its soil on the dry side.
Fertilizer: While tilling the soil, incorporate a slow-release fertilizer such as a 12-6-6 at a rate of 2 pounds per 100 square feet.
- Melampodium is easy to grow.
- Seeds can be sown directly after the first frost.
- For those of you with a short growing season, melampodium seeds can be started indoors 6 to 8 weeks before the last frost, too.
- Start your seeds in flats, and set the flats outside once temperatures are consistently over 60 degrees.
- Or, transplant a store bought version of this plant from your local nursery.
- Either way, your melampodium is an easy going annual without any special needs.
- It will grow well in regular garden soil.
- It does prefer sunshine over shade, so be sure to provide your melampodium with plenty of access to the rays.
Uses: Plant melampodium where you want some contrast between flowers and foliage. Melampodium can be used as a sunny ground cover or be planted toward the front of flower borders.
Monday, 10 February 2020
Sunday, 21 October 2018
Very nice packaging, with labelling of all the seeds. Variety of seeds available and its a great value for money.
Please log in to write a review. Log in