About Sponge Gourd Chikni Turai
Sponge gourd is one of the popular vegetables similar to ridge gourd. The only difference is sponge gourd has a smooth surface. Sponge gourd belongs to the family of “Cucurbitaceae” and genus of “Luffa”.
Fully ripe sponge gourds have a high volume of fibrous which is being used as cleansing agent (utensils) and making shoe-soles, table mats. This vegetable is cultivated in most of the states in India.
|Common Name ||Sponge gourd, Gilki / Chikni Turai, Luffa|
|Height ||Up to 30 ft|
|Flower Colour ||Yellow|
|Bloom Time ||Summer, Rainy season, Winter|
|Difficulty Level ||Easy to grow|
Planting and care
- Luffa can also be grown in containers around 5-gallon size
- Containers must have good drainage and cant be moved once the vines attach tendrils to other objects
Sponge Gourd Chikni Turai care
- At the time of bed preparation, FYM should be mixed with soil for good yield
- Seeds are sown directly on the bed or pot
- They should be planted 2 cm deep in the bed or pots
- Plastic wrap can be used for mulching purpose to control the weed and water loss
- They should be planted 2 cm deep in pots
|Sunlight ||Full Sun|
|Soil ||Well-drained loamy soil with 6.5 to 7 pH level |
|Temperature ||25 to 30 degree C|
|Fertilizer ||Use any organic fertilizer.|
|Harvest Season ||Summer, Rainy season, Winter|
Sponge Gourd Chikni Turai special feature
Songe gourd is required low investment and it can be grown year long with high yields in short duration period.
Sponge Gourd Chikni Turai uses
- Tender fruits are used for cooking purpose
Frequently Asked Questions
How tall do sponge gourd chikni turai grow?
On average sponge gourd chikni turai grows Up to 30 ft
What color are sponge gourd chikni turai ?
A sponge gourd chikni turai plant bears flowers of color Yellow
How hard is sponge gourd chikni turai to grow?
A sponge gourd chikni turai is Easy to grow
How much sunlight does a sponge gourd chikni turai need?
A sponge gourd chikni turai prefers Full Sun
How much water does a sponge gourd chikni turai need?
A sponge gourd chikni turai prefers watering Moderately
What kind of soil does a sponge gourd chikni turai need?
Well-drained loamy soil with 6.5 to 7 pH level
What temperature does a sponge gourd chikni turai like?
How should I fertilize my sponge gourd chikni turai ?
Use any organic fertilizer.
Wednesday, 18 March 2020
Tuesday, 03 March 2020
Thursday, 06 February 2020
Please log in to write a review. Log in