About Chinese Cabbage Green
Cabbage (Brassica oleracea or variants) is a leafy green biennial plant, grown as an annual vegetable crop for its dense-leaved heads. Closely related to other cole crops, such as broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts, it descends from B. oleracea var. oleracea, a wild field cabbage.
Cabbage heads generally range from 1 to 8 pounds (0.5 to 4 kg) and can be green, purple and white. Smooth-leafed firm-headed green
cabbages are the most common, with smooth-leafed red and crinkle-leafed savoy cabbages of both colours seen more rarely.This cool-season crop grows best when daytime temperatures are in the 60s F.Direct-seed or transplant spring crops for fresh use in summer.
Plant fall crops for winter storage or sauerkraut.
Ease-of-care: moderately difficult, Requires good soil, timely planting and protection from pests.
|Common Name ||Chinese cabbage, Napa cabbage, Peking cabbage, Celery cabbage|
|Height ||Height: 1 to 2 feet Spread: 1.5 to 3 feet|
|Flower Colour ||Yellow|
|Bloom Time ||Winter|
|Difficulty Level ||Easy to moderate|
Planting and care
- When transplants reach 5 inches tall, thin to make sure they are still the desired length apart
- Fertilize 3 weeks after transplanting
Keep soil moist with mulch and water 2 inches per week
To prepare the soil, till in aged manure or compost
Transplant outdoors 2 to 3 weeks before the last expected frost date
Choose a cloudy afternoon
Plant 12 to 24 inches apart in rows, depending on the size of head desired
The closer you plant, the smaller the heads
Mulch thickly to retain moisture and regulate soil temperature
Practice crop rotation with cabbage year to year to avoid a build-up of soil-borne diseases
Cabbage can be grown near beans and cucumbers
Chinese Cabbage Green care
- The planting season for cabbage is quite long
- Early cabbage should be transplanted as soon as possible so that it can mature before summertime heat
- If you have been wondering when to plant cabbage plants, you should know that several varieties are available at different maturity times so you can have a harvest all summer long
- When thinking about when to plant cabbage plants, you should remember that hardened plants can be very tolerant of frosts
- Therefore, you can plant these early in the spring with other cool season vegetables
- Late cabbage can be started during mid-summer, but remember that they won’t develop ahead until fall
|Sunlight ||Full sun, partial sun|
|Watering ||Water regularly, applying 1 to 1.5 inches of water per week if it doesn't rain.|
|Soil ||Requires well-drained soil, fertile soil high in organic matter, pH 6.0 to 7.5.|
|Temperature ||Germination temperature: 45 F to 85 F - Will germinate at soil temperatures as low as 40 F.|
|Fertilizer ||Fertilize plants again with a liquid fertilizer such as fish emulsion or 20-20-20 |
|Harvest Season ||50 to 80 after sowing.|
Chinese Cabbage Green special feature
Chinese cabbage is winter season biannual vegetable.
Chinese Cabbage Green uses
- Cabbage is a good source of beta-carotene, vitamin C and fibre
- Cabbage is prepared and consumed in many ways
- The simplest options include eating the vegetable raw or steaming it, though many cuisines pickle, stew, sautée or braise cabbage
- Pickling is one of the most popular ways of preserving cabbage, creating dishes such as sauerkraut and kimchee, although kimchee is more often made from Chinese cabbage
- Savoy cabbages are usually used in salads, while smooth-leaf types are utilized for both market sales and processing
Bean curd and cabbage is a staple of Chinese cooking, while the British dish bubble and squeak are made primarily with salt beef and boiled cabbage
Frequently Asked Questions
How tall do chinese cabbage green grow?
On average chinese cabbage green grows Height: 1 to 2 feet Spread: 1.5 to 3 feet
What color are chinese cabbage green ?
A chinese cabbage green plant bears flowers of color Yellow
How hard is chinese cabbage green to grow?
A chinese cabbage green is Easy to moderate
How much sunlight does a chinese cabbage green need?
A chinese cabbage green prefers Full sun, partial sun
How much water does a chinese cabbage green need?
A chinese cabbage green prefers watering Water regularly, applying 1 to 1.5 inches of water per week if it doesn't rain.
What kind of soil does a chinese cabbage green need?
Requires well-drained soil, fertile soil high in organic matter, pH 6.0 to 7.5.
What temperature does a chinese cabbage green like?
Germination temperature: 45 F to 85 F - Will germinate at soil temperatures as low as 40 F.
How should I fertilize my chinese cabbage green ?
Fertilize plants again with a liquid fertilizer such as fish emulsion or 20-20-20
Monday, 16 March 2020
Wednesday, 04 March 2020
Tuesday, 11 February 2020
Please log in to write a review. Log in