About Digitalis purpurea
Foxglove is a biennial plant with soft, hairy, toothed, ovate and lance-shaped leaves in a basal rosette. The life span of the plant is 2 seasons. The first year growth remains in a basal rosette of leaves. Second-year growth produces flowering stems, 3 -6 feet in height.
Flower spikes have purple to white spotted thimble-like flowers which hang down and last about six days.
|Common Name ||Foxglove|
|Height ||60-72 inches|
|Flower Colour ||Pink, lavender, apricot, and white.|
|Bloom Time ||Summer|
|Difficulty Level ||Easy to grow.|
Planting and care
- Water the foxglove plants regularly until they are fully established
Feed every spring with any organic fertilizer
Mulch around plants in spring with a 5-7
- 5cm thick layer of organic matter, such as compost, composted bark or well-rotted manure
After the first flowers have finished cut back the faded flower stems to ground level and give them a good feed with a liquid plant food this may encourage a second flush of flowers
After flowering, cut back the faded flower stems to ground level, unless you want to collect seed for future sowing or want the plants to self-seed
- In which case, cut down the stems after the seed has been collected
Digitalis purpurea care
- It can be grown from direct seeding or by raising in a nursery in February and then transplanting them to the main field
The land should be thoroughly ploughed, leveled and weeded for direct seeding
- The seeds may be broadcast or sown in lines
Do not sow seeds very deep in the soil
Water the plant regularly until they fully establish
|Sunlight ||Full sun to partial shade.|
|Watering ||Moderately |
|Soil ||Well-drained soil.|
|Temperature ||20-30 degree C|
|Fertilizer ||Apply any organic fertilizer during spring and summer.|
|Harvest Season ||July-August(leaves)|
Digitalis purpurea uses
- Foxglove is the perfect choice for beds and borders
- Foxglove contains chemicals from which the prescription medication digoxin (Lanoxin) is made
- These chemicals can increase the strength of heart muscle contractions, change heart rate, and increase heart blood output
Frequently Asked Questions
How tall do digitalis purpurea grow?
On average digitalis purpurea grows 60-72 inches
What color are digitalis purpurea?
A digitalis purpurea plant bears flowers of color Pink, lavender, apricot, and white.
How hard is digitalis purpurea to grow?
A digitalis purpurea is Easy to grow.
How much sunlight does a digitalis purpurea need?
A digitalis purpurea prefers Full sun to partial shade.
How much water does a digitalis purpurea need?
A digitalis purpurea prefers watering Moderately
What kind of soil does a digitalis purpurea need?
What temperature does a digitalis purpurea like?
How should I fertilize my digitalis purpurea?
Apply any organic fertilizer during spring and summer.
Saturday, 14 March 2020
Tuesday, 03 March 2020
Tuesday, 18 February 2020
Please log in to write a review. Log in