Plant as a cool season crop, ideally between 55 degrees and 65 degrees F. Sow seeds closely where they are to grow in fertile, moisture-retentive, neutral soil. Podded varieties should be staked or grown on a trellis but pea-shoot varieties can be allowed to creep along the ground.
Common name: garden pea
Bloom time: January-May
Height: 1.00 to 1.50 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
Choose a well-drained site. Alkaline soil is best; sprinkle some powdered lime on the surface if your soil tends to be acidic. Prepare a rich soil by mixing in generous amounts of compost and well-rotted manure mixed to a depth of 2 feet.
Sunlight: Full Sun to Partial Shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Temprature: 55-70 F
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- You can sow them into small pots of compost in autumn and overwinter the young plants in a cold frame or cool greenhouse.
- Or, you can wait until spring and start planting your sweet peas in pots, or sow directly into the ground.
- Before you sow them you can soak your sweet pea seeds in tepid water to rehydrate them.
Harvesting: A month or so later, pop the seeds, label and store them in a cool place in an airtight container.
- Once planted, germination can take 7 to 15 days, depending on the soil temperature.
- As seedlings emerge and grow, gradually fill in the trench.
- Keep soil moist.
- If you use plenty of aged manure and compost when planting, you do not need to fertilize.
Depending upon the cultivar chosen, peas can be grown for their sweet shelled peas, as edible-podded, as snap peas, as Asian snow peas, or for their edible shoots. Snap and snow peas work well in Asian stir-frys and the edible shoots are excellent raw or cooked in soup, steamed, or stir fried.
- Unverified information Liquorice may be useful in conventional and naturopathic medicine for both mouth ulcers and peptic ulcers.
- In traditional Chinese medicine, liquorice is commonly used in herbal formulae to "harmonize" the other ingredients in the formula and to carry the formula to the twelve "regular meridians" and to relieve a spasmodic cough.
for medicinal use, please consult appropriate doctor before use.