About Tall Fescue
Festuca arundinacea is a species of grass commonly known as tall fescue. It is a cool-season perennial species of bunchgrass native to Europe. Established tall fescue lawns are low maintenance and need infrequent mowing and watering, except in very hot summers.
Keep the lawn at 2 inches tall and allow the plants to dry out in between deep watering.
|Common Name ||Leucopoa, Amphigenes Janka|
|Height ||0.5 to 0.2 feet|
|Difficulty Level ||Easy to grow |
Planting and care
- Tall fescue grass is one such sod grass and it also has low mowing and fertilization needs
- It does, however, need frequent deep watering in summer
- It works as a lawn in either sunny or partially shady areas
- Tall fescue in lawns stays green in winter unlike the warm season turf varieties
- The plant is available in numerous cultivars, many of which resemble fine fescue but have wider leaf blades
- Tall fescue maintenance is a dream for the lazy gardener because it needs infrequent mowing and has low nutrient needs
- Tall fescue is a turf grass with remarkable drought and heat stress tolerance
- It is a coarse textured, dark green grass with rolled leaves
- It spreads by seed primarily and does most of its growth in spring and fall
- The grass has deep widely set roots
- In spring the plant produces a short panicle 3 to 4 inches long with lance-like spikelets
- Tall fescue grass is a bunch grass and established lawns may eventually have die out in some areas, requiring spring reseeding
Tall Fescue care
- Tall fescue establishes best on soil with good drainage and high fertility where pH is 5
- 5 to 6
- Work the area well and add in a starter fertilizer to the top few inches of soil
- The rate of sowing is 6 to 8 pounds per 1,000 square feet
- Cover the area with a fine layer of sand or soil
- Seed needs to be pressed into soil
- Keep evenly moist for 14 to 21 days, at which point you should see your first seedlings
- The plants can now get used to less frequent watering
- Mow the grass when it is 3 inches high
- Turf grass that is kept less than 3 inches is thicker and more attractive
|Sunlight ||Full sun|
|Soil ||Well drained soil |
|Temperature ||10 C and above|
|Fertilizer ||Apply any organic fertilizer|
Tall Fescue special feature
Dwarf fescue is used primarily as a residential lawn.
Tall Fescue uses
Frequently Asked Questions
How tall do tall fescue grow?
On average tall fescue grows 0.5 to 0.2 feet
How hard is tall fescue to grow?
A tall fescue is Easy to grow
How much sunlight does a tall fescue need?
A tall fescue prefers Full sun
How much water does a tall fescue need?
A tall fescue prefers watering Medium
What kind of soil does a tall fescue need?
What temperature does a tall fescue like?
How should I fertilize my tall fescue ?
Apply any organic fertilizer
Tuesday, 04 February 2020
Sunday, 16 September 2018
Very nice packaging, with labelling of all the seeds. Variety of seeds available and its a great value for money.
Please log in to write a review. Log in