About Saccharum Munja Grass
Saccharum munja was traditionally used in making ropes and baskets. It is one of the best nutritious and drought tolerant species of grasses. A valuable fiber can be extracted from upper leaf sheets of flowering culms.
The stem is sweet, acrid, cooling, aphrodisiac and is useful in burning sensations, thirst, erysipelas, blood troubles, urinary complaints, eye diseases and tridosha. The plant stem, flowers and adjacent soil found to have nutrients such as sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, chlorides, bicarbonates, sulphates and phosphates which are responsible for its medicinal importance. The plant parts are used in number of Ayurvedic formulations which are used in the treatment of dysuria.
|Common Name ||Calamagrostis, acutiflora Karl Foerster |
|Height ||3.00 to 5.00 feet|
|Difficulty Level ||Easy to grow |
Planting and care
- Always wear safety goggles; branches can whip back when released
- Start with pruning shears for smaller growth
- Use loppers, which look like giant, long-handle shears, for growth that is more than half an inch thick
- A small pruning saw is handy, as it cuts on both the push and the pull
- Deadhead religiously and keep beds clean
Saccharum Munja Grass care
- Large rose canes can be cut back by as much as two thirds, and smaller ones to within 6 to 12 inches of the ground
- When you transplant your plants, be sure to dig a much bigger hole than you think you need and add plenty of organic matter such as compost or aged manure
|Sunlight ||Full Sun |
|Watering ||Medium |
|Soil ||well-drained soil |
|Temperature ||10 C and above|
|Fertilizer ||Apply any organic fertilizer|
Saccharum Munja Grass special feature
Mass, group or specimen. Excellent vertical accent for borders and for narrow spaces in the landscape. Also effective in moist low spots or on pond/stream banks.
Saccharum Munja Grass uses
- Saccharum munja, known as munja is a grass found in arid areas and along river banks in India
- it belongs to the family Gramineae
- It grows up to 2 meters (7 feet) in height
- Its white flowers are of ornamental value
Frequently Asked Questions
How tall do saccharum munja grass grow?
On average saccharum munja grass grows 3.00 to 5.00 feet
How hard is saccharum munja grass to grow?
A saccharum munja grass is Easy to grow
How much sunlight does a saccharum munja grass need?
A saccharum munja grass prefers Full Sun
How much water does a saccharum munja grass need?
A saccharum munja grass prefers watering Medium
What kind of soil does a saccharum munja grass need?
What temperature does a saccharum munja grass like?
How should I fertilize my saccharum munja grass?
Apply any organic fertilizer
Monday, 20 January 2020
Please log in to write a review. Log in