About Annona Squamosa Sharifa
This tree should only be planted outdoors in frost-free areas protected from cold winds. It is best grown in rich, evenly moist but well-drained soils in full sun to part shade. Tolerates average soils.
A small tropical tree, indigenous to the Amazon rainforest, growing up to 30 feet tall.
The leaves are thin, oblong while the flowers are greenish yellow. Flowers are oblong, never fully open, with 1 in long, drooping stalks, and 3 fleshy outer petals, yellow-green on the outside and pale-yellow inside with a purple or dark-red spot at the base.The avoid or conical fruit, with a purple knobby skin, is very sweet and is eaten fresh or can be used for shakes. The fruit is juicy and creamy white; it may contain up to 40 black seeds. These seeds are poisonous.
|Common Name ||Sugar Apple, Custard apple, Sita Phal, Sharifa|
|Height ||20 to 30 feet|
|Flower Colour ||Yellow-green on the outside and pale-yellow inside |
|Bloom Time ||Summer, Spring|
|Difficulty Level ||Easy to grow|
Planting and care
- Sugar apple is normally fairly low maintenance and quite easy to grow, as long as a level of basic care is provided throughout the year
- Growing sugar apple tree requires weed management
- the sugar apple is susceptible to wind damage
- Therefore, it should be planted in a location that is sheltered from the wind
Annona Squamosa Sharifa care
- Seed propagation is the traditional method, through which the sugar apple tree is grown
- Seed should be planted horizontally, 2 – 3 cm deep at a distance of 1
- 5 cm in a good quality seed mix
- Generally, the germination occurs within 30 days
- Although, its germination rate is low and time is slow due to the tough seed coating
- Plant spacing is 5 X 5 m
- The plantation is done in the rainy season
|Sunlight ||Full sun to part shade|
|Soil ||Rich, evenly moist but well-drained soil|
|Temperature ||25 to 41 degrees C|
|Fertilizer ||Apply any organic fertilizer|
|Harvest Season ||Summer, Spring|
Annona Squamosa Sharifa special feature
The flesh is fragrant and sweet, creamy white through light yellow, and resembles and tastes like custard.
Annona Squamosa Sharifa uses
- The plant is used for an ornamental purpose
- The bark and leaves contain annonaine, an alkaloid
- In tropical America, a decoction of the leaves is used as a cold remedy and to clarify urine
- A bark decoction is used to stop diarrhoea, while the root is used in the treatment of dysentery
Sugar-apple is high in energy, an excellent source of vitamin C and manganese, a good source of thiamine and vitamin B6, and provides vitamin B2, B3 B5, B9, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium in fair quantities
- Note: USe only after consulting the specialist
- The ripe fruits are edible
- The sweetish fruit varies considerably in quality; some are eaten raw but most often they are used in preserves, drinks, ice cream, puddings etc
Frequently Asked Questions
How tall do annona squamosa sharifa grow?
On average annona squamosa sharifa grows 20 to 30 feet
What color are annona squamosa sharifa?
A annona squamosa sharifa plant bears flowers of color Yellow-green on the outside and pale-yellow inside
How hard is annona squamosa sharifa to grow?
A annona squamosa sharifa is Easy to grow
How much sunlight does a annona squamosa sharifa need?
A annona squamosa sharifa prefers Full sun to part shade
How much water does a annona squamosa sharifa need?
A annona squamosa sharifa prefers watering Medium
What kind of soil does a annona squamosa sharifa need?
Rich, evenly moist but well-drained soil
What temperature does a annona squamosa sharifa like?
How should I fertilize my annona squamosa sharifa?
Apply any organic fertilizer
Tuesday, 17 March 2020
Thursday, 05 March 2020
Friday, 21 February 2020
Please log in to write a review. Log in