About Balsam Tom Thumb Mixed Color
Garden balsam is part of the Impatiens genus. Its scientific name is Impatiens balsamina. A type of non-edible flower / ornamental, it mainly grows as an annual plant - which means it typically only grows best for a single growing season. Garden balsam is known for its erect growing habit.
Garden balsam is a great plant to attract butterflies, bees, and birds to your garden. Garden balsam is normally quite a low maintenance plant and is normally very easy to grow - great for beginner gardeners! Very shade-tolerant, balsam brings the tropics to the annual garden with brightly colored flowers borne closely along the upright, bright green stem of the plant.
|Common Name ||Touch-Me-Not, Garden Balsam, Rose Balsam,impatiens.|
|Height ||12-24 inches|
|Flower Colour ||red, orange, yellow, violet, white, pink.|
|Bloom Time ||Summer to frost,|
|Difficulty Level ||Easy|
Planting and care
- Balsam needs moist, well-drained soil and performs best in partial shade locations
- Amend the soil with compost and break up clods before transplanting young balsam
- Spacing is 12 to 18 inches apart
- Water the plants from below to help prevent powdery mildew
- A soaker hose or drip line system will assist with this method of watering
- The plants will need supplemental watering at least once a week in the dry months
- More frequent watering is necessary when caring for balsam in containers and hanging baskets
- Collect the seed pod carefully at the end of the season for another year of rose balsam beauty in your garden
- Let the pod dry and keep in a closed plastic bag or jar in a dark, cool area of the home until spring
Balsam Tom Thumb Mixed Color care
- Propagate by seed - Balsam is a prolific self-sower
- After one season of growth, it generally reappears from self sown seeds the next year
- After frost has passed, scatter seeds where desired, or sow seeds indoors 6 to 8 weeks before the last spring frost
- Do not cover the seeds with soil, as they need light to germinate
- Until the seeds germinate, cover the seed trays with clear plastic to maintain high humidity
- Water from below to prevent damping off
- Germination temperature: 65 F to 70 F Days to emergence: 7 to 14
|Sunlight ||Full sun to partial shade.|
|Watering ||Most plants like about 1 inch of water per week.ompost will help improve texture and water holding or draining capacity. A 3 inch layer of mulch will help to maintain soil moisture and studies have shown that mulched plants grow faster than non-mulched plants.|
|Soil ||Moist and well drained means exactly what it sounds like. Soil is moist without being soggy because the texture of the soil allows excess moisture to drain away.|
|Temperature ||Balsam plants grow well in both sun and shade. The best site offers some protection from afternoon sun, which may cause some browning of the foliage.|
|Fertilizer ||Apply any organic fertilizer.|
Balsam Tom Thumb Mixed Color special feature
Discovered in South East Asia, Balsam is an old-fashioned annual that produces single or double flowers in the leaf axils along the main stem of the plant from summer to early autumn. A great bedding annual the plant grows up to 12 inches in height.
Balsam Tom Thumb Mixed Color uses
- Leaves and young shoots - cooked
- (People with a tendency to rheumatism, arthritis, gout, kidney stones and hyperacidity should take especial caution if including this plant in their diet
- Regular ingestion of large quantities of these plants can be dangerous due to their high mineral content )
Frequently Asked Questions
How tall do balsam tom thumb mixed color grow?
On average balsam tom thumb mixed color grows 12-24 inches
What color are balsam tom thumb mixed color ?
A balsam tom thumb mixed color plant bears flowers of color red, orange, yellow, violet, white, pink.
How hard is balsam tom thumb mixed color to grow?
A balsam tom thumb mixed color is Easy
How much sunlight does a balsam tom thumb mixed color need?
A balsam tom thumb mixed color prefers Full sun to partial shade.
How much water does a balsam tom thumb mixed color need?
A balsam tom thumb mixed color prefers watering Most plants like about 1 inch of water per week.ompost will help improve texture and water holding or draining capacity. A 3 inch layer of mulch will help to maintain soil moisture and studies have shown that mulched plants grow faster than non-mulched plants.
What kind of soil does a balsam tom thumb mixed color need?
Moist and well drained means exactly what it sounds like. Soil is moist without being soggy because the texture of the soil allows excess moisture to drain away.
What temperature does a balsam tom thumb mixed color like?
Balsam plants grow well in both sun and shade. The best site offers some protection from afternoon sun, which may cause some browning of the foliage.
How should I fertilize my balsam tom thumb mixed color ?
Apply any organic fertilizer.
Saturday, 14 March 2020
Tuesday, 03 March 2020
Monday, 24 February 2020
Please log in to write a review. Log in